We're Baaack TOTALLY

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
GRIN-N

We're Baaack TOTALLY

Post by GRIN-N »

Some of you may remember the pictures of our pepper white convertible wadded up into a ball last fall. We couldn't find another one to replace it so, last week, we ordered a new one. It will be the same color but I think that will be about the only thing that will be the same. It won't have the UniChip, JCW strut brace, JCW cool air intake, Borla Exhaust, etc., etc. We decided to not go with runflats this time or the 17" wheels. You can probably tell that we miss the old one.

The new one is still an S so that is good. Will there be a difference between the turbo and the super?

I'm sure that once it gets here in late May we will like it. Won't we?
Last edited by GRIN-N on Wed May 20, 2009 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GRIN-N

Re: We're Baaack (sort of)

Post by GRIN-N »

I guess it was just January that we lost the Mini but it seems like a long time since we drove it.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

You'll like the turbo engine just fine, and you'll like the improved gas mileage even more, plus a bit smoother ride, although the run flats will mitigate that some.......you will miss your exhaust pop and burble tho - at least I do.......

All in all, you'll love your new MINI, and congrats! How long till it gets here?

Maybe in time for the Black Hills run in mid May?

The bad news was you lost your car, the good news is that you didn't lose your son - the MINI gave it's life to protect him....... :cheers:
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
MiniGeoff
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniGeoff »

I had an 08 S for a week while Baron was working on my a few months ago, and my impression was that the turbo has a lot more power then the supercharged engine. It could be that the turbo is quieter then my car, considering my loud intake and loud exhaust, and it was an automatic instead of a manual, and those 2 thing combined to really screw up my feel for the speed of the car, but it seemed to be quite a bit quicker to me.

I know, however, that it's a LOT more comfortable to drive on a daily basis then my car is.
03 PS/Bl MCS - Alta CAI - Alta 15% pulley - Denso Irdiums - Kingsborne wires - Screamin' Deamon Coil - Yellow Konis - H-Sport Springs - H-Sport rear swaybar - H-Sport adjustable rear control arms - M7 Front strut brace - Sold
06 Subaru WRX
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

MiniGeoff wrote:I had an 08 S for a week while Baron was working on my a few months ago, and my impression was that the turbo has a lot more power then the supercharged engine. It could be that the turbo is quieter then my car, considering my loud intake and loud exhaust, and it was an automatic instead of a manual, and those 2 thing combined to really screw up my feel for the speed of the car, but it seemed to be quite a bit quicker to me.

I know, however, that it's a LOT more comfortable to drive on a daily basis then my car is.
The turbo has more HP and more torque than the supercharged ones. It is a fact.

Now, you can add an intake and an exhaust which make it sound AWESOME!!

Congrats.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
Punk_Mini

Post by Punk_Mini »

Hehe but the R53 Tritec has so much more potential then the prince motor thats in the R56. Sure you can get 200whp and 200wtq on the R56 but its trickier as the ecu on the R56 hates change and can throw codes and lights for no apparent reason from simple changes like a CAI since it calculates mass air flow and not by speed density.
GRIN-N

Post by GRIN-N »

There was a tremendous difference between having the UniChip turned on and off. When we first got it we could not figure out how to shift into second or third without spinning the wheels. It was a constant challenge. Driving it with that turned off was way more civilized, but who wants that? I want another one but probably won't spend the money for a while.

Our new one is scheduled to be here sometime around the end of May.
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Punk_Mini wrote:Hehe but the R53 Tritec has so much more potential then the prince motor thats in the R56. Sure you can get 200whp and 200wtq on the R56 but its trickier as the ecu on the R56 hates change and can throw codes and lights for no apparent reason from simple changes like a CAI since it calculates mass air flow and not by speed density.
Ya, it is unfortunate that the ECU is so tricky. I was just referring to the stock engine and not trying to start the GEN1 vs. GEN2 vs. Classic Mini debate. :)

I am currently running an intake (HOT :)), boost tubes and a cat-back. I will be installing my downpipe this weekend. The good news is that the exhaust depot downpipe doesn't throw CELs like ALTA.

Hopefully, when I get back from Afghanistan there will be good tune to put all of the bolt-ons together at max performance.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

And hopefully you'll come back from Afganistan safe and all in one piece! We're praying for you........
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Minidave wrote:And hopefully you'll come back from Afganistan safe and all in one piece! We're praying for you........
:thumbsup2:
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Punk_Mini

Post by Punk_Mini »

MiniManiac wrote:
Punk_Mini wrote:Hehe but the R53 Tritec has so much more potential then the prince motor thats in the R56. Sure you can get 200whp and 200wtq on the R56 but its trickier as the ecu on the R56 hates change and can throw codes and lights for no apparent reason from simple changes like a CAI since it calculates mass air flow and not by speed density.
Ya, it is unfortunate that the ECU is so tricky. I was just referring to the stock engine and not trying to start the GEN1 vs. GEN2 vs. Classic Mini debate. :)

I am currently running an intake (HOT :)), boost tubes and a cat-back. I will be installing my downpipe this weekend. The good news is that the exhaust depot downpipe doesn't throw CELs like ALTA.

Hopefully, when I get back from Afghanistan there will be good tune to put all of the bolt-ons together at max performance.
Oh wasn't starting up a debate on the R53vsR56 but I was just giving some educational info. Your right about the R56 motor it does have more power but the reason for that is no parasitic weight of a supercharger and direct injection which allows for better atomization and more consistent fuel delivery versus the indirect injection the R53 uses. Both the turbo and direct injection lead to better fuel economy compared to the R53.

Also I would like to add the hard (metal) intercooler pipe kit that The Exhaust Depot sells is a very nice setup and allows for consistent boost pressure. There is going to be another shop/manufacture bringing out their own hard intercooler pipe and their own intercooler in the near future for you guys with R56's.
Punk_Mini

Post by Punk_Mini »

MiniManiac wrote:

Oh wasn't starting up a debate on the R53vsR56 but I was just giving some educational info. Your right about the R56 motor it does have more power but the reason for that is no parasitic weight of a supercharger and direct injection which allows for better atomization and more consistent fuel delivery versus the indirect injection the R53 uses. Both the turbo and direct injection lead to better fuel economy compared to the R53.

Also I would like to add the hard (metal) intercooler pipe kit that The Exhaust Depot sells is a very nice setup and allows for consistent boost pressure. There is going to be another shop/manufacture bringing out their own hard intercooler pipe and their own intercooler in the near future for you guys with R56's.
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Punk_Mini wrote:
Right now I have the Alta pipes but I am going to take them off when I get back and put on the hard pipes. I am really disappointed in how inconsistent Alta's products are for the R56.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

What could be wrong with a pipe?
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Punk_Mini

Post by Punk_Mini »

MiniManiac wrote:
Punk_Mini wrote:
Right now I have the Alta pipes but I am going to take them off when I get back and put on the hard pipes. I am really disappointed in how inconsistent Alta's products are for the R56.
I know what you mean about Alta products. Their quality control is lacking as I had an Alta exhaust and in 10k miles the resonator was shot. I grabbed a used borla race from a friend and haven't had a single problem even with it being used. I also got another r53 intake tube last summer and I had to trim the end that goes on the throttle body.

The reason for hard intercooler piping is when you have distance between turbo inlet, outlet, and throttle body you want the path to have the same diameter as the inlets, outlets, and then a transition coupler between the throttle body and the hard pipe . Then where there are joints or bends you use silicone couplers with t-bolt clamps so it keeps the air flow smooth and able to flex in any motor movement.

I hope I have helped in explaining and given what I have learned from personal experience.
GRIN-N

Post by GRIN-N »

We'll have chrome mirror caps.
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Minidave wrote:What could be wrong with a pipe?
They are cut at improper lengths. My first turbo inlet tube was about 2 inches too short. My cold side boost tube was just barely long enough. I am definitely going with hard pipes when I get back. With the hard pipes, you also don't have any chance of collapse.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

mstraughn wrote:We'll have chrome mirror caps.
Awesome!!

P.S. - Sorry for the hijack!!
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Punk_Mini

Post by Punk_Mini »

MiniManiac wrote:
Minidave wrote:What could be wrong with a pipe?
They are cut at improper lengths. My first turbo inlet tube was about 2 inches too short. My cold side boost tube was just barely long enough. I am definitely going with hard pipes when I get back. With the hard pipes, you also don't have any chance of collapse.
correctomondo
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Seriously? You're worried about pipe collapse?

There can't be that much vacuum, how many inches do you suppose a fully spooled up turbo can pull? I doubt it's much, the inlet side is all about volume, not suction pressure...........

I think you guys just want to hear the sounds.............. 8) :D

And punk, there can be advantages to having different sized pipes to keep the pressures right in certain applications......not saying that's the case here of course, but I'm sure the BMW engineers took all that into consideration.

However, I question how badly it needs a muffler in the intake tract, or a noise generator on the output side just so you know when you're in overboost......
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

The first run of Alta tubes actually collapsed under load. You can find vids of it on Youtube. So, yes it is something that happens. When you take off the stock pipes, you will see how narrow and constrictive they are. Adding newer pipes does increase flow and thus increases HP. FYI.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Punk_Mini

Post by Punk_Mini »

Minidave wrote:Seriously? You're worried about pipe collapse?

There can't be that much vacuum, how many inches do you suppose a fully spooled up turbo can pull? I doubt it's much, the inlet side is all about volume, not suction pressure...........

I think you guys just want to hear the sounds.............. 8) :D Well depending on the thickness of the aftermarket silicone tube and the amount of motor movement it you could very well collapse from twisting and possible heat.

And punk, there can be advantages to having different sized pipes to keep the pressures right in certain applications......not saying that's the case here of course, but I'm sure the BMW engineers took all that into consideration. You are correct on about that and the application is figured by the outlet inner dimension and the A/R of the coldside of the turbo and a few other factors. So Dave you are correct about application because you just don't put 2.5" tubing on a tiny turbo like the R56's.

However, I question how badly it needs a muffler in the intake tract, or a noise generator on the output side just so you know when you're in overboost......
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

MiniManiac wrote:The first run of Alta tubes actually collapsed under load. You can find vids of it on Youtube. So, yes it is something that happens. When you take off the stock pipes, you will see how narrow and constrictive they are. Adding newer pipes does increase flow and thus increases HP. FYI.
Really? Wow, send me a link if you can find one, I'd like to see what happened...........
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

I will look for it. I didn't believe it until I saw it. Crazy!
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
GRIN-N

Post by GRIN-N »

The new Mini has been completed and is waiting to get on a boat. I wonder if we could get it on a plane instead. I fear that pirates may hijack the ship and drive the Mini around on deck.