New owner with a few questions...

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
Toddzilla

New owner with a few questions...

Post by Toddzilla »

Hello. I bought a new Cooper S about 2 weeks ago and have a few questions.

First, is there any way to raise the headlight beams up a few degrees? They really don't shine down the road as far as I'd like them too, until I flip the brights on that is. It's a little unnerving. Second, I'd eventually like to install a set of springs, hi-flow air intake and probably a new exhaust. Would installing one or more of these items void the factory warranty? Or give Baron a reason(s) to not perform warranty service on my car? I've always heard that if the add-on product can be traced back to being the cause of a problem then you're SOL, but I just wonder what the case would be with Mini/BMW/Baron/etc. since customizing seems to be encouraged. Lastly, what has everyone's luck been with vinyl graphics? How well do they stay on? Fade? Hold up to winters, car washes, etc.?

Thanks!
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: New owner with a few questions...

Post by Minidave »

Contact Todd (Sundance on this forum) for any/all vinyl questions. I think most people would say they hold up pretty well, a lot would depend on whether you keep your car indoors or if it stays outside year round I would think..........

I don't know what to say about Mods, I didn't do any on either of my two MINIs, thogh my '03 has a ton of factory accessories that Baron installed, still they don't seem to hassle people about mods, and in fact install some of them thru their own sales/service dept.

i think if a mod can be proven to have caused a problem, it should be on your dime anyway.........or the mod manufacturer's.

Welcome to the club, look forward to meeting you at one of our GTG's, check the Announcements thread and the Grassroots gatherings threads for the next event - see you there!

Have Baron reset your headlights, especially if you have the Zenons. I had to have them raise mine on my '03 right after I got it too. They can probably do it while you wait if you set it up ahead of time.
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
ddmini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by ddmini »

From the discussions I have had with Baron, MINIDAVE is right. If the mod caused the problem then the warranty does not cover it. I had Baron install the JCW strut bar on my 2005 S and the tech at Baron ground down the edge of my ALTA CAI so it would fit, they made no mention of my engine damper when they replaced my motor mount. So in my experience they have not had any problems doing what little warranty work needed to be done with the few mods I have done.

As for the graphics, I have had a custom graphic that Todd did on my roof for 3 years and it looks as good as new. I would say that if you get quality vinyl you should have no problems for years.
(Mine is the Blue one)
09 Clubman S LB/B, 3 Pkgs, JCW Wheel, JCW Tuning Kit, H&R Springs, ALTA 19mm swaybar
14 Paceman S All4, Starlight Blue/White, Fully loaded, JCW Steering Wheel
David & Debra
Toddzilla

Post by Toddzilla »

I assume Baron will only install JCW products then? Anything else would have to be taken to Auto Sport or similar?

I ordered some side scuttle vinyls from Aesthetic Creations, though they haven't arrived yet. I'm anxious to see how they look, and hold up.

Thanks for the info guys. That definitely helps.
rascalpants

Post by rascalpants »

If Baron does the mod work, then it is under warranty... also, if you have the Money, you can look into DINAN... which all of their mods are completely covered (parts AND labor) if anything goes wrong with the car because of their product. I the DINAN CAI, Performance Exhaust, Bored Out Throttle Body... and Baron put in my Ultrik pulley. I am regretting not having the DINAN pulley put in, because their kit comes with some added fuel sensors I believe that I am pretty sure do make a difference in consumption and HP.

They are not the Best DINAN reps, but Baron does an okay job. BTW... DINAN is very easy to get ahold of on the phone if you have warranty questions.

good luck...

rp
JRutherford

Post by JRutherford »

Never had any mention / remark on any aftermarket modifications on my R53 while it was under warranty - either from Baron or original dealership in Dallas. The Magnuson Moss act referenced should theoretically protect your warranty as mentioned, so long as the aftermarket part(s) did not lead to the failure; however, responsibility of the burden of proof is a bit of a grey area...
Last edited by JRutherford on Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenshin138
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by kenshin138 »

I'm not sure if there are any changes on the new MINI vs. the older (I have an 06) but on the 06 there are two hex bars coming out of the back of the headlight that are grooved on the end for a flathead screwdriver. The inner-most one adjusts up and won (loosening it raises them) and the inner is the side-to-side.

The leveling sensor is acting up on my 06 so most of the time the lights were pointing directly down basically. Following instructions I found on NAM I adjusted them up and everything is fine now. When my auto-leveling works (rare) they adjust to the normal level, when they don't work they are at a non-dangerous level still which is nice.

Not sure if that helps at all.
Ryan
'12 MB/MB MCSa
saturn

Post by saturn »

If you look down onto the headlight assembly from under the hood, you will see a white plastic set screw. I't has both a hex head as well as a screwdriver head on it. you can't miss it, it's the only one in the headlight assembly.
LiLReD1

Post by LiLReD1 »

Look up the "Magnuson-Moss Act of 1974" to see what the law says about modifying your vehicle and not voiding the factory warranty.

Basicaly, it just states if the modification hampers your emissions, then they don't have to cover it, i.e. cat-back exhaust is ok, but anything messing with the cat (and emissions item) will void it. It also states that the dealer has to prove the product you installed is the item that caused the damage. Can't blame yer seats falling out because of a CAI. (Seen them try that before.) Baron seems like a good group of guys IMO, I doubt they'd go south with this sorta thing.