Run Flat Tire Repair?

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
Grinnin

Run Flat Tire Repair?

Post by Grinnin »

Well, we did it. We got a screw in one of the run flat tires. As you probably already know, Baron's only solution is to replace it for $230. Has anyone had a tire repaired? Did anyone die? Did the world come to an end?
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Run Flat Tire Repair?

Post by Minidave »

Take it to a brand name tire store, unless the screw is close to the edge of the tread, it's fixable. Many have done so.....

Love the stars and stripes! :D
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Counterfit_Mini »

I went to Shore Tire and they told me no one in KC will fix it. So I went to Baron since they had the tire in stock and got a new one. :( When my tires are done wearing out I'm going to normal tires.
Hi my name's Stephanie...
Max- 2024 Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

Was it because the puncture was in the shoulder or sidewall area? If so, it would be considered unrepairable. Small punctures in the center area of the tire can be properly repaired by professional tire installers.
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

The man that knows! ^^^^^^^^^

I also had a screw in the tread on our Audi's tire right after we got it, and like Dave says because it was considered too close to the edge, no one would fix it - I called it our $256 screw!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

It was a thumb tack in the tread of my tire and they said they wouldn't repair it because of insurance reasons...
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

I had two run flats fixed at Shore, but they were located in areas that are considered repairable.

Run flats caused me more problems than they were worth. I never had problems with flat tires before run flats. So glad to be rid of them.
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

Counterfit_Mini wrote:I went to Shore Tire and they told me no one in KC will fix it. So I went to Baron since they had the tire in stock and got a new one. :( When my tires are done wearing out I'm going to normal tires.
I worked for Shore Tire Co. for a number of years and we never refused to repair a repairable puncture -- run flat tire or not. If someone told you that load of crap, they should have been fired on the spot.
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

That's exactly what they told me without even looking at the tire. :(
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

Musta been a cloudy day

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
LiLReD1

Post by LiLReD1 »

Don't let anyone tell you they can't fix a runflat. I've been told everything from it takes a special tire mounting machine, to your tire won't be a runflat anymore.

Well it doesn't take a special tool, cause I've had 3 punctures (all in the tread, not sidewall) and all 3 of them have been fixed by a tire shop. Not a Wal-Mart, but a Firestone or Goodyear or NTB... they all said they would fix it. Yet they gave me the disclaimer that it won't be a runflat anymore like it was good reason why not to fix it. But um... I'd rather have a patched tire, than spending $320 on a new tire, or sitting stranded on a tire shop. Seems obvious to me, but I guess the days of driving on a regular tire were quite some time ago to them. ??? :roll:
Grinnin

Post by Grinnin »

Well, I have called or visited NTB, Goodyear, Firestone, and Shore. Even without looking at it, they say they won't work on it. I'll make some more calls today and let you know what I come up with.
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

I found out the reason Shore Tire will not attempt to repair a run flat tire any longer. If the tire has been run low on air for a few miles, heat may build up on the sidewall causing a heat ring. When attempting to remove the tire from the wheel, the sidewall may be destroyed by the tire machine. Even if it is a "no touch" machine, the pressure of removing the tire over the lip of the wheel may cause damage to the very stiff sidewall of the run flat tire. They have encountered this problem a few times and the customer may think the tire repair person destroyed the tire when in fact the tire was trash. So, they have changed their policy and will not attempt a repair on run flat tires any longer. The tire industry is leaning this way. I guess this is another reason to ditch the run flats.

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
LiLReD1

Post by LiLReD1 »

That's the most thorough explaination I've heard that makes sense so far. But yer right, totally justifies ditching runflats IMO.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Why do they have to remove the tire to plug it? Can't they just plug it from the outside?

Even so, I'd guess that a tire that's developed a "heat ring" isn't really safe anyway.

In all the miles I've done with my non-run flats, I've never had a problem with one of them, ever. Funny that the run-flats are the ones that keep getting "screwed"... :mrgreen:
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
LiLReD1

Post by LiLReD1 »

Ya, I was getting screwed royaly with my runflats. Never got so many screws in my tire than with those. Not the tires fault, just bad luck.

All the places I've gone to where it's just a $10-$12 patch like Wal-Mart or a tire store, they won't "plug" the tire. If done correctly, ya they can work, but there's the risk of the plug coming out. These places dismount the tire, and patch it from the inside, so the whole is completely sealed off. I like this better anyway, and for $10 at Wal-Mart, ya can't beat it considering the labor involved.
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

Some people may see the flat tire light illuminate but wait until the weekend or longer to have it looked at. The tire doesn't look low , so they may wait too long and destroy the tire from the inside out---

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
Grinnin

Post by Grinnin »

I did get it patched at the Goodyear store in Blue Springs. They didn't say anything or hesitate at all. I have trouble seeing any reason for manufacturing or buying runflats. I guess our car doesn't have a place for a spare so we are screwed too but why would anyone design them on a car if they are not going to be reparable? I don't get it?
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

I guess it all depends on how long the tire was driven on while under inflated. Being that the tire doesn't look flat - " I'll get it looked at next week" will not work. If the light comes on, have it looked at now. Driving on the sidewall produces heat and therefore destroys the tire from the inside out.

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
MINIDREAMS

Post by MINIDREAMS »

Where will the spare tire go when you get rid of the run flats...gotta have a spare...right? :?
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I don't carry one.......

*touch wood*

:mrgreen:
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"