MINI Repair Shops

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

MINI Repair Shops

Post by Minidave »

A couple have been mentioned over the years, such as KC Autosport....

I'd like to throw another one into the mix, my friends at George's Imports. They were a SAAB dealer for many years and Citroen dealer for many years before that. Now that SAAB is owned by an independant they've gone back to their roots as a service only shop, specializing in European cars, Audi, BMW, MBZ, VW, and of course SAAB. I've known the owners for over 40 years and they've always held the highest standards of integrity and honesty so if you're in need of some shop work, give them a call at their new location at 135th and Holmes, right next to Jess & Jim's Steak house in Martin City.

816-333-6582

Web page here....http://www.kcsaab.com/
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: MINI Repair Shops

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

Minidave--your post made me think maybe we should put a "sticky" on this thread and add a comprehensive listing of shops in KC. What do y'all think? Would it be a good resource? :?:
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Absolutely!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
BLUGOOSE
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by BLUGOOSE »

Not wanting to freeze my butt off changing the oil on the garage floor, I took the "Goose" to KC Auto Sport to get it changed. It cost me $50.00(money well spent considering I don't have a heated garage). Baron wanted more than $75.00. :saywhat: KCAS is consistantly cheaper than Baron and as far as I'm concerned just as reliable.-Frank
2005 MCS Hyper Blue, auto, chrono, cold, H/K, roof, Milltek Sport, DDMWorks CAI, M7 Strut Plate,"Todd Graphics",R-90s
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Counterfit_Mini »

Ooo that's awesome seeing as Baron charged me $200 the last time I paid for an oil change there.
Hi my name's Stephanie...
Max- 2024 Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
sh944

Post by sh944 »

I'd like to throw a mention in for Doc Wilen Racing in Olathe. Karl (aka "Doc") is a pretty familiar face around the local tracks, particularly HPT and while he is known more for working on Porsches than MINI's, he's a very capable wrench on most anything you would bring him. He's a one man operation working out of his garage but there are some huge pluses to that approach, first and foremost, you get Karl working on your car, and not some low paid "mechanic" that works for the shop. Secondly, his overhead costs are a lot lower than the average garage, so it allows him to be very reasonable in what he charges, and I am confident you will be happy with both his service and pricing.

Fair disclosure, Karl is a friend of mine, but there are a LOT of folks that can vouch for him. Since I am not entirely objective in my referral, I will let y'all ask me directly for his contact information if you are interested. I have spent a fair bit of time wrenching with him, and have no problem saying he is one of the best mechanics you will find. If you want that "personal touch" when getting your MINI serviced, you should at least talk to him and judge for yourself.

Regards, ...Scott
WildThang

Post by WildThang »

One thing about having your oil changed at a MINI dealer. The MINI service guy that gets your car will lubricate all hinges and moving parts that need it with the correct lubes, and do a general inspection while they have it on the rack. Markel MINI in Omaha tops up our fluids as needed during the oil change also.

Yeah yeah...it's pricey....but...there's a reason it's pricey, they lube the entire MINI. We let the MINI dealer do ours twice a year to keep it squeek free...LOL!
LMH

Post by LMH »

WildThang wrote: Yeah yeah...it's pricey....but...there's a reason it's pricey, they lube the entire MINI. We let the MINI dealer do ours twice a year to keep it squeek free...LOL!
Squeek free? Maybe I should have them change the oil on my jeep lol Tho, its kinda the nature of a jeep to be a bit more noisey on the road =)
wabaunsee2

Post by wabaunsee2 »

Hi,
Does anyone have a suggstion for a shop in Topeka or Lawrence? Those listed in the KC metro area all sound great--just looking for something more convenient for us out west.
Thanks
SWT CHI

Post by SWT CHI »

Hafkemeyer Motors in Waldo is a BMW and Mercedes shop; however, Ulrich (Uli) Lipinski has treated my '05 JCW with the utmost TLC. Most recently, he tracked down the ellusive Gremlin hiding between the throttle body and the computer. This dude is first class and knows German mechanical engineering, thoroughly!

I'm not local to the Metro. I didn't know anyone here 6 months ago, let alone a shop to service my ride when it broke down roadside, and I learned of him through a Bimmer forum. Cleanest shop I've seen in 20 years. $50 synthetic oil change. I'm impressed.
palsbaby

Post by palsbaby »

Hi...We just got a 2005 Cooper..no name yet..still discussing :)

Need some advice on best place for an oil change...we are in Prairie Village.

Also would like to know how much to expect to pay.

Thanks for any info you can give us!
boxer
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by boxer »

Start at the top of the this thread. The best places are discussed. Hope this helps. :ds:
2003 Dark Silver Metallic MINI Cooper S.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Or, DIY - it's pretty easy - but you will need a special socket for the filter. Do a search for many threads on it.....

Buy a filter and 5 quarts of oil from Baron for about $35. You'll have the right filter, o-ring and the right oil from the git go.....
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Minidave wrote:Or, DIY - it's pretty easy - but you will need a special socket for the filter. Do a search for many threads on it.....

Buy a filter and 5 quarts of oil from Baron for about $35. You'll have the right filter, o-ring and the right oil from the git go.....

And by doing it yourself you know it's done right. :) And it's not as hard as some people make it sound. I read a lot of stuff on NAM and they all made it sound like the R56 was horrible to do an oil change on until Dave helped me out with it. :) I will be doing more in between oil changes from now on.

Oh, and don't got to Baron for an oil change....they're really really expensive.
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
Sspreso
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Sspreso »

I did my first oil change this weekend and it was easy. Do yourself a favor and ordered the kit from Way Motor Works:
http://www.waymotorworks.com/oil-change ... 6-r57.html
-John Herrman
2012 JCW Coupe aka 'Taz'
-If you car doesn't try to kill you, it's under modded.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

That's a good deal, especially for someone who doesn't already have a tool box full of tools. You still will need an 8mm (5/16") socket or wrench to remove the small screw that holds the coolant reservoir, and of course a ratchet and extension to turn the socket on the filter.

You also need a pan to drain it in, and remember to be responsible disposing of the old filter, don't just toss it in the trash - take it back to the auto parts store where you're going to recycle the oil and let them dispose of it properly.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Sspreso
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Sspreso »

I have a tool box full of stuff, but I find the Mini doesn't use many of the same things as my Dodge cars did. :roll:
Bloody stupid hex bolts and screws every where.
-John Herrman
2012 JCW Coupe aka 'Taz'
-If you car doesn't try to kill you, it's under modded.
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Mini's have a lot of Torx screws too....
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000