Brake time

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
matti the mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Brake time

Post by matti the mini »

ok, 97000 and time for new brakes and some other maintenance.

I remember Mini Dave mentioning that you could get a good deal on rotors from OReilly.

Also Davester mentioned some other brake pads, but I don't remember what they were.

I've not gone down to the wear indicator yet, is it recommended to replace that at the same time?

In addition, I need to flush the radiator, power steering fluid and probably an oil change.

Any resources for any and all of that work would be appreciated!

So, I'll be doing a garage day in the near future. Possibly late May or Early June depending upon work schedule.
Bentley

Gertti - MCS '13 - BRG2, JCW Tuner Package, and more!

formerly:
Matti - MCS '004- BRG, premium, sport, cold, bonnet stripes, boot stripes, rally lights, window tint, nav - british voice mod, Helix CAI and 15% reduction pully, euro parcel shelf
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Brake time

Post by Minidave »

I'm perfectly happy with stock factory pads, but others have used the EBC green and like them.

Change the brake fluid too, the club owns a pressure bleeder donated by Hagar, which makes the job a one-man operation if you choose.

Check your power steering hoses carefully, they tend to deteriorate over time, especially the low pressure hose from the reservoir. Just take it loose at the pump and let it drain then refill it and turn the wheels lock to lock a few times to bleed out the air and top off, pretty easy.

You can buy rotors from Autozone for roughly $140 for all 4, quality seems fine, especially for a normal - non-track driven car, but check around.

If the sensor's not broken, you can continue to use it.

I have the socket for the oil filter if you don't....
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

Yeah, I like the EBC Green Stuff pads alot. There is very little brake dust to clean. The stopping grip is very good for street. :D
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
Hagar46
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Hagar46 »

Me too on EBC Green Pads. I also went with EBC slotted rotors but I go to HPT for HIgh Speed Driving on the track. I warped a set of stock rotors before going with EBC. :(
George

03 Cooper, Silk Green, CVT, ProMini CAI, Borla Exhaust, Schroth 4-pt Harness, Sportlink Hitch, 277,000+ miles, R.I.P. :(
06 MCS automatic, Chili Red w/white roof, 115k miles, Monte Carlo Rallye decals. :chili:
sh944

Post by sh944 »

Just as an FYI, due to my extensive car habit and personal monthly parts bill, my wife and I started a "company" so that I can buy parts at wholesale cost through the same places that supply the mail order houses. Once we did that, my friends at one of the other car clubs we belong to started perstering us to buy parts, so we made the company, Banger Industries, a formal entity and started selling to the public. Sometimes we can get really good pricing, other times, we can't compete against the larger companies, but we keep our overhead to a minimum and can keep our prices pretty low. Keep in mind, this isn't a "day job" for either my wife or I, but is a service to local wrenchers that are trying to save some $'s. If you are interested, I can get the following:

Brake Rotors
Zimmermann Coated: $45.27 front / $31.28 rear (these are what I run on my Porsches, very good stuff imo)

Pads
Genuine MINI: $80.25 front / $74.30 rear
Textar (OEM supplier): $42.15 front / $44.33 rear
Akebono Ceramic: $69.00 front / $63.25 rear
PBR: $48.50 front / $55.00 rear

I can't get EBC through my distribution at this time, altho I am working on it. I can quote Ate, Brembo and some other brands for rotors and pads as well, altho I have to say, I have been running Zimmermann rotors forever and had really good results. I can also get cross drilled if you like the look, altho I don't recommend them as they tend to develop radial cracks from the holes and don't stop much, in any, better under normal use.

The prices I quoted are including ground shipping from my suppliers. If you need them faster than 4 days, I can expedite the shipping but it will cost a bit more. I have no idea how these prices compare to local shops, but beware of really cheap Chinese steel rotors, they warp quickly. I can get Winhere and Balo rotors a good bit cheaper, but I won't sell them because I don't want deal with a product that I think might cause problems or wear out quickly.

Regards, ...Scott