Forum & iPhone browser?

Tips for using forums. Got a question on how to use the forum? Post it here.
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Forum & iPhone browser?

Post by IowaM1N1 »

Something weird has been happening with my iPhone lately. When trying to log into the Forum using the browser, I get the log-in screen. I log in, the browser briefly takes me to the main forum page, then immediately cycles me back to the log-in page, completely forgetting that I just logged in. Lather rinse repeat. I never get to any forum page logged in. Which means the forum is inaccessible to me from the iPhone.

Running iOS 5 on an iPhone 4.

Anyone else having this problem?
Greg
'19 Emerald Grey/Chili Red JCW (F56) <---- Greg's car
'08 Dark Silver/Black Cooper S convertible JCW (R52) <---- Greg's other car
'02 BRG/White Cooper (R50) Iowa plate: M1N1 <-----Judy's car
Des Moines/KC/whatever
KangaMINI
Website Admin
Website Admin

Re: Forum & iPhone browser?

Post by KangaMINI »

I haven't changed anything with the server configs for months. Have you tried clearing your browser cache/cookies etc? Restarting safari and/or the phone may also be beneficial. I'm typing this on my iPhone 4 running iOS 5 so I'm not experiencing the problem described above.

To clear your cookies and data go to Settings --> Safari --> Clear History and Clear Cookies and Data
Attachments
Screen shot of settings - sorry its so huge!
Screen shot of settings - sorry its so huge!
Photo Dec 11, 9 42 26 PM.png (111.02 KiB) Viewed 6439 times
KangaMINI
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Greg, I don't think it's the phone....I've been having the exact same problem with another forum (and only that one forum!) on my laptop. Using my wife's laptop or the desktop I had no problem logging in as me.

What finally worked was to link to a page in the forum via google search, then once "in" it showed me already logged on, I then went to the home page of the forum and saved that to my fav's, replacing the old page. Now when I click on that link in my Favs, it goes to the home page, and I'm already logged in.

Complicated and stupid, but they couldn't find anything wrong on their end so I decided as long as it worked......

Definitely try Rich's suggestions (clearing casche and cookies and such), but I did those same things on my laptop and it didn't make any difference....
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by IowaM1N1 »

KangaMINI wrote:I haven't changed anything with the server configs for months. Have you tried clearing your browser cache/cookies etc? Restarting safari and/or the phone may also be beneficial. I'm typing this on my iPhone 4 running iOS 5 so I'm not experiencing the problem described above.

To clear your cookies and data go to Settings --> Safari --> Clear History and Clear Cookies and Data
That seems to have helped - thanks!
Greg
Des Moines/KC/whatever
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

I'm not having the problem with this forum, but have had that problem with another site
in the last few days using a 4S. I've also been clearing lots of cookies, but not on my phone. :lol:
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by IowaM1N1 »

Still makes me log on every time, which it didnt do before. I did click the 'remember me' button.
Greg
Des Moines/KC/whatever
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by IowaM1N1 »

Someone else mentioned to me they are having the same problem. Thought I'd share what I've been able to learn...

Here is what I figured out....

Somehow, the 'Accept Cookies' setting on my iPhone (Settings, Safari, Accept Cookies) got changed to 'Never'. I set to 'From visited' and things are OK.

It reset itself back to 'Never' again later, and I had to reset again to 'From visited'. Not sure why it would change, but it did.

It has been working fine the last week or so.

Hope this helps.
Greg
Des Moines/KC/whatever
KangaMINI
Website Admin
Website Admin

Post by KangaMINI »

I have seen several articles online about Safari in iOS having the Accept Cookies option flip itself to Never without human intervention.

I think in the future, if anyone experiences problem using the forums with an iOS device, checking that cookies are allowed is probably a safe first step.

-Rich
KangaMINI