Wet Okole experience? Or, Best way to add seat heaters?

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Wet Okole experience? Or, Best way to add seat heaters?

Post by IowaM1N1 »

Anyone have experience with Wet Okole seat covers, especially with the seat heater option?

Love 'em? Hate 'em?

I have zero experience with them, and am looking for a cost-effective way to add seat heaters to my new '11 MCS.

Mine did come with leatherette, so I'd also entertain re-upholstery with leather or fabric at the same time as adding seat heaters, if someone has some advice there.
Greg
'19 Emerald Grey/Chili Red JCW (F56) <---- Greg's car
'08 Dark Silver/Black Cooper S convertible JCW (R52) <---- Greg's other car
'02 BRG/White Cooper (R50) Iowa plate: M1N1 <-----Judy's car
Des Moines/KC/whatever
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: Wet Okole experience? Or, Best way to add seat heaters?

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

I have three sets of Wet Okoles and MiniX2 has a set in his non-Mini, too. I know nothing about their seat heaters though, as I have the factory option. They still get warm even through the neoprene. :D

The plus for me is that my upholstery looks brand new underneath the seatcovers. The minus is sun fading. I'm guessing this is a cabrio-specific issue. My second set faded much worse than the first.Within a year of installing them I wasn't comfortable entering my car in a show the covers had faded so much. The third set is fading as quickly, even using the products they sell to help with this. I have had the zipper pockets put on the back of all six seat covers and one is giving me a little trouble right now, after lots of use. Customer service in regard to fading was virtually non-existent, but otherwise I like the covers a lot and have had no other issues in ordering from them.
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

There are aftermarket kits to add heaters to the seats that are not too expensive, I don't know if they will interface with the MINI's computer, but if you do a search on NAM or Motoring Alliance I think you can find a write up from a guy who did it.

The factory ones get really hot, even on the low setting. I can only turn mine on for a few minutes then I have to shut them off again, but they sure feel good on a freezing cold morning.
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by IowaM1N1 »

ragtopday wrote:I have three sets of Wet Okoles and MiniX2 has a set in his non-Mini, too. I know nothing about their seat heaters though, as I have the factory option. They still get warm even through the neoprene. :D

The plus for me is that my upholstery looks brand new underneath the seatcovers. The minus is sun fading. I'm guessing this is a cabrio-specific issue. My second set faded much worse than the first.Within a year of installing them I wasn't comfortable entering my car in a show the covers had faded so much. The third set is fading as quickly, even using the products they sell to help with this. I have had the zipper pockets put on the back of all six seat covers and one is giving me a little trouble right now, after lots of use. Customer service in regard to fading was virtually non-existent, but otherwise I like the covers a lot and have had no other issues in ordering from them.
Thanks!

There are references on their website about sun fading, so I expected it was a concern. Since I have a hardtop, I hope that wouldn't be an issue.

How has the material held up over time?

Another big concern of mine -- do the covers stay in place? Do they shift around at all? Any gaps or sagging or other fit issues?
Greg
Des Moines/KC/whatever
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by IowaM1N1 »

Minidave wrote:There are aftermarket kits to add heaters to the seats that are not too expensive, I don't know if they will interface with the MINI's computer, but if you do a search on NAM or Motoring Alliance I think you can find a write up from a guy who did it.

The factory ones get really hot, even on the low setting. I can only turn mine on for a few minutes then I have to shut them off again, but they sure feel good on a freezing cold morning.
Trust me, I read that post extensively before I bought this car. It certainly looks do-able, and I think any good upholstery shop should be able to do something similar.

Samer said he has a source for re-doing seats, typically custom work in leather. That guy, however, said he will only install seat heaters in the bottom, not the back. I thought that was odd.

Anyone have a good upholstery shop reference here in KC?
Greg
Des Moines/KC/whatever
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

IowaM1N1 wrote: Thanks!

There are references on their website about sun fading, so I expected it was a concern. Since I have a hardtop, I hope that wouldn't be an issue.

How has the material held up over time?

Another big concern of mine -- do the covers stay in place? Do they shift around at all? Any gaps or sagging or other fit issues?
The material and stitching have held up great, but keep in mind I've had three sets of covers in 6 years so I might not be a good one to ask about that. Maybe someone who is in and out of their car more often and has had one set of covers on for a long time can comment?

Yes, the covers stay perfectly in place and I've had no shifting or funny gaps even driving the Dragon or a track. A car show judge commented about how nice my custom upholstery looked--and I've got no custom upholstery, just $500 of seatcovers. They are tricky to get in place (feeding straps through plastic housing, etc...) but once they are in the right place, they stay great.

You're welcome to have a look at mine,tug on them, take them in and out if you want to see how they install. You could even clean them if you wanted to see how the products they sell work. :lol:
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.