New set of summer tires (ditched runflats!)

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
Spart
MINIAC
MINIAC

New set of summer tires (ditched runflats!)

Post by Spart »

One of the things I hated about my JCW (the 2011) when I bought it was the terrible ride thanks to the factory run-flats.

Dave's old JCW had regular Nitto (all-seasons?) and the ride was pretty decent.

After swapping the factory rims and tires for a set of winter wheels on the new JCW, I knew I couldn't go back to those godawful runflats again. So I ordered some BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW2's (summer tires, not all-season) and had them mounted to my factory challenge rims on Friday. Mounted them on the car and tried them out for the first time today and was very impressed with how well they "stuck" for brand-new tires. Sometimes you get some sliminess from the lubricant they use on the tires to keep them from sticking to the mold, but that didn't seem to be the case with these. Either that, or I'm in for even more grip when they fully break in. I didn't sense any tread shuffle with these either, and I've gotten used to a great deal of tread shuffle with the winter tires.

So far I'm pleased, we will see how well they do in heavy rain.

From left to right, factory runflats, new summer tires, winter tires.

If the new tires look bigger, that's because they are. The factory size is 205/45R17, the summer and winter tires are 205/50R17. I ordered larger tires to correct the speedometer which reads 4% fast otherwise.

The factory Dunlop SP Sport 01 DSST in 205/45R17 are 862 revs per mile. The winter tires I have are General Altimax Arctic in 205/50R17 and they're 826 revs per mile. With those, my speedometer still read about 1mph slow at interstate speed, improved over reading 3mph slow. The summer tires are 819 revs per mile, and the speedometer seemed dead on with what my GPS was saying today. I will have to confirm that sometime when I'm not driving for pleasure. Maybe 819 revs per mile is close to the sweet spot for having a dead-accurate speedometer reading?
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: New set of summer tires (ditched runflats!)

Post by Minidave »

Interesting tread pattern on the summer tires, are they noisey at all?

Huge sipes, they should be really good in rain too.

How's your May event shaping up? Have you started a sign up sheet, or is it still too early yet?
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
imabyter
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by imabyter »

I've had those tires on my old ///M3 and loved them. They get a little noisy after about 3/4 tread is gone, but great wet and dry handling. You will be happy.
Michael B (although the MINI is Carole's toy I still get to fix and maintain it)
Luna is an '06 Cooper S Space Blue with Silver top. Sport Package, Premium Package, Euro Leather Package. Now with Way Motors 15% pulley kit!
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

I am running those tires on the R56. They are a little noisy but the performance more than makes up for it.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Hey Spart! come to Heartland Park with us on April 11 th for the first track day of the year!

Let's see what those new tires and that JCW can do!
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)