Classic Mini start problem

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Classic Mini start problem

Post by Counterfit_Mini »

I went to go start my Mini a while back and she wasn't turning over just clicking (which she usually does when the battery is dead) so I hooked up my charger and set to to the "jump" setting to see if she'd start and she would turn over once and go back to clicking. I set to charger to trickle and let her charge over night and checked the voltage in the morning and it was the same as when I put the charger on her. Would it be the battery or something else?

Hi my name's Stephanie...
Max- 2024 Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Classic Mini start problem

Post by davester »

Steff-- it sure sounds like the battery is a goner. Why not take it out and go to an auto parts store for a load test. They will be happy to do it for free :D
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Make sure you have a good connection at your battery cables, and that the ground cable has a good connection on the block and on the body of the car.

What was the voltage reading you observed on the battery?

I agree, take it to an auto parts store and have it checked, then you can eliminate one source of your problem. If it's not the battery itself, it's most probably a bad cable connection.
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Counterfit_Mini »

I don't remember what it said but I know it was showing way lower voltage on it than a fully charged battery would show. Wouldn't be too surprised if it's a dead battery. It's over 5 years old and looks like a cheap one. I'll pull it out this weekend and take it to a parts store.
Hi my name's Stephanie...
Max- 2024 Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000