Modifications for R55 - N16 engine

How-To and Pics of Mods to your MINI/Mini
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Modifications for R55 - N16 engine

Post by Zack »

Any of you have recommendations for modifications for my Clubman? Would like to potentially find something performance rated. Currently have a Cold Air Intake and that is about it but I have been having a lot of trouble finding other potential modification ideas. I am aware of a cat back exhaust which is something I am considering and is within the range I'm looking at. Also going to have to get new tires soon and am mulling over the possibility of replacing the wheels as well with something different.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
2011 R55 Mini Cooper Clubman
2013 R56 Mini Cooper S JCW
2008 R56 MINI Cooper S JCW
2014 R55 MINI JCW Clubman
2017 F56 MINI Cooper S JCW
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Modifications for R55 - N16 engine

Post by MiniManiac »

I don't know much about mods for the non-s engines. How about handling mods? You can look at springs or coil overs, sway bars and endlinks. I think you have a good look going on so I don't see much to change or update.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

And brakes. You could upgrade to the R56 brakes which will add some stopping power. :)
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Best way to get more power? Trade it in for a turbo engine version..... :mrgreen:
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

Minidave wrote:Best way to get more power? Trade it in for a turbo engine version..... :mrgreen:
Lol, well if you want to pay off my loan I would gladly do that, haha. Was sort of kicking myself 2 months later when an all black 2012 Clubman S showed up on their lot.

And Seth, I am in the need of replacing my rear brake pads soon, or possible the rotors as well. Been toying with the idea of getting an upgraded brake kit for all 4 wheels and just going all the way around. The front discs will be due eventually. Last time I just had to replace those pads but never know.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Zackattack28 wrote: And Seth, I am in the need of replacing my rear brake pads soon, or possible the rotors as well. Been toying with the idea of getting an upgraded brake kit for all 4 wheels and just going all the way around. The front discs will be due eventually. Last time I just had to replace those pads but never know.
The R56 brake upgrade is the old R53 JCW brakes and there are usually plenty of those sets floating around NAM. It is a good upgrade.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Minidave wrote:Best way to get more power? Trade it in for a turbo engine version..... :mrgreen:
I thought about this as well but I am saving my "Zack Harassment" for something better :mrgreen:
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Well, to answer his question, there really isn't any thing you can do to get substantial power increases in a non-S that doesn't involve major surgery - intakes make more noise but not more power, same with exhausts..... for the difference in cost you could trade up to an S. You can tune and improve an S tho......bottom line, enjoy what you have and don't just throw money at it.

I wouldn't be surprised to find that his R55 has the same brakes as the R55 S, and unless you're doing track events you don't need bigger brakes, what you have are terrific already.

Good quality pads and rotors are always a good investment tho......
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Minidave wrote:Well, to answer his question, there really isn't any thing you can do to get substantial power increases in a non-S that doesn't involve major surgery - intakes make more noise but not more power, same with exhausts..... for the difference in cost you could trade up to an S. You can tune and improve an S tho......bottom line, enjoy what you have and don't just throw money at it.

I wouldn't be surprised to find that his R55 has the same brakes as the R55 S, and unless you're doing track events you don't need bigger brakes, what you have are terrific already.

Good quality pads and rotors are always a good investment tho......
I'm just trying to help him spend money :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

He should buy another set of wheels! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Minidave wrote:He should buy another set of wheels! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes! :)
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

MiniManiac wrote:
Minidave wrote:He should buy another set of wheels! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes! :)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hmmmm. I forgot about how many wheel sets I went through with the R53. Lol. As for brakes I don't think they're the same as the S because I can stick 15" wheels on this clubman easily. Couldn't do that on my old R53 with the R56 brake discs. Improving the braking though may help and it isn't super expensive either.

Was out driving today in sport mode and with the intake it sounds awesome. The exhaust would just add to the sound. It sounds aggressive and fast. But it isn't though Collin was riding with me and it did get a pretty quick launch down the road. Must have had a tail wind :mrgreen:

I think the brakes are probably the next thing. Haven't replaced the front rotors but may need to replace the pads and rotors at the rear so I may give myself a nice little upgrade to improve my stopping power.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Zackattack28 wrote: Hmmmm. I forgot about how many wheel sets I went through with the R53. Lol. As for brakes I don't think they're the same as the S because I can stick 15" wheels on this clubman easily. Couldn't do that on my old R53 with the R56 brake discs. Improving the braking though may help and it isn't super expensive either.
We have all been there (at least me) on changing styles with these cars. I am sure that your brakes are smaller and the R56 upgrade would be a good move. Just keep an eye-out on NAM for folks selling their stock calipers when they upgrade to something else. You can find them super cheap.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

I was initially toying with the idea of a magnaflow exhaust but was advised differently by someone who said they sound terrible. The suggestion was a Borla muffler perhaps. I thought maybe a good aftermarket muffler welded up to the original pipes or a custom bent system with a new aftermarket muffler. Want something that would give me a deeper tone on my Mini.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Zackattack28 wrote:I was initially toying with the idea of a magnaflow exhaust but was advised differently by someone who said they sound terrible. The suggestion was a Borla muffler perhaps. I thought maybe a good aftermarket muffler welded up to the original pipes or a custom bent system with a new aftermarket muffler. Want something that would give me a deeper tone on my Mini.
You may just be able to go to your local exhaust shop and get a new muffler for your existing exhaust. It will give you the growl you want and maybe a few extra HP. This is similar to the JCW tuning kit style. MINI just chops the muffler and adds the new one. It is louder and adds about 3HP. This would be much cheaper than adding an entire exhaust.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

MiniManiac wrote:
Zackattack28 wrote:I was initially toying with the idea of a magnaflow exhaust but was advised differently by someone who said they sound terrible. The suggestion was a Borla muffler perhaps. I thought maybe a good aftermarket muffler welded up to the original pipes or a custom bent system with a new aftermarket muffler. Want something that would give me a deeper tone on my Mini.
You may just be able to go to your local exhaust shop and get a new muffler for your existing exhaust. It will give you the growl you want and maybe a few extra HP. This is similar to the JCW tuning kit style. MINI just chops the muffler and adds the new one. It is louder and adds about 3HP. This would be much cheaper than adding an entire exhaust.
Sounds like the option I'm going for. If I could I would get a JCW muffler but they don't make a single tip JCW muffler.

They do make a muffler for the B-Spec racer but I hate the sound of it. I'm going to check the local muffler shops in the area. Unless you all might have a recommendation.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Zackattack28 wrote: Sounds like the option I'm going for. If I could I would get a JCW muffler but they don't make a single tip JCW muffler.

They do make a muffler for the B-Spec racer but I hate the sound of it. I'm going to check the local muffler shops in the area. Unless you all might have a recommendation.
This sounds like a good plan!
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

MiniManiac wrote:
Zackattack28 wrote: Sounds like the option I'm going for. If I could I would get a JCW muffler but they don't make a single tip JCW muffler.

This sounds like a good plan!
Any muffler shops you would recommend in the area that could do this?
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Zackattack28 wrote: Any muffler shops you would recommend in the area that could do this?
I haven't had any exhaust work done out here in KS. If you really want to spend some money........perhaps you could buy an "S" style rear bumper cover and then you could run an S style dual exhaust. I don't know if there are any issues other then the bumper cut-out to consider but you can find the S exhausts pretty cheap on NAM. That would give you the look plus the sound.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

Looks like I'm heading toward a magnaflow exhaust from outmotoring and having Baron install it. Advantages are it's stainless steel and won't rust and also because there is a muffler if I ever sell the car it could pass inspection. I also like the subtle deep tone and the pop and burble it does which reminds me of my old Cooper S.

https://youtu.be/U_T-t-UMSRY
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Zackattack28 wrote:Looks like I'm heading toward a magnaflow exhaust from outmotoring and having Baron install it. Advantages are it's stainless steel and won't rust and also because there is a muffler if I ever sell the car it could pass inspection. I also like the subtle deep tone and the pop and burble it does which reminds me of my old Cooper S.

It sounds good. I wonder how it sounds with highway driving around 3500 rpm. My JCW exhaust DRONED like crazy between 3500-4000 rpm. LOL.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

MiniManiac wrote:
Zackattack28 wrote:Looks like I'm heading toward a magnaflow exhaust from outmotoring and having Baron install it. Advantages are it's stainless steel and won't rust and also because there is a muffler if I ever sell the car it could pass inspection. I also like the subtle deep tone and the pop and burble it does which reminds me of my old Cooper S.

It sounds good. I wonder how it sounds with highway driving around 3500 rpm. My JCW exhaust DRONED like crazy between 3500-4000 rpm. LOL.
That thought had crossed my mind but I remember finding some videos somewhere of R56 non-S with cat-backs in general doing highway driving and the drone wasn't really noticeable. If you have your stereo on like I usually do, it isn't noticeable at all and I usually have the stereo on to drown out the persistent headliner rattle since they had to drop the headliner when they replaced my sunroof.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Zackattack28 wrote:That thought had crossed my mind but I remember finding some videos somewhere of R56 non-S with cat-backs in general doing highway driving and the drone wasn't really noticeable. If you have your stereo on like I usually do, it isn't noticeable at all and I usually have the stereo on to drown out the persistent headliner rattle since they had to drop the headliner when they replaced my sunroof.
I am sure it will be fine. Are you still going with SS version installed at Baron?
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

MiniManiac wrote:
Zackattack28 wrote:That thought had crossed my mind but I remember finding some videos somewhere of R56 non-S with cat-backs in general doing highway driving and the drone wasn't really noticeable. If you have your stereo on like I usually do, it isn't noticeable at all and I usually have the stereo on to drown out the persistent headliner rattle since they had to drop the headliner when they replaced my sunroof.
I am sure it will be fine. Are you still going with SS version installed at Baron?
If SS means Stainless Steel then yes I'm planning to have Baron install it.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Zackattack28 wrote: If SS means Stainless Steel then yes I'm planning to have Baron install it.
Yes, stainless steal. :). Post up a vid once you get it installed.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW