Test Drove Mini's today....

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Test Drove Mini's today....

Post by Counterfit_Mini »

My boyfriend and I test drove a Cooper Clubman and Cooper hardtop today and I think we're pretty set on getting a hardtop. :) Right now we're debating on the color but have the options picked out. We probably won't order it until June though (gotta see how David's job situation goes..) I'm hoping we'll be able to get it. The options we have picked are the Cold Weather package, Preminum package and Comfort access. The colors we're looking at right now are Oxygen Blue, Chili Red, and British Racing Green... Oh and it's going to be a manual. I'm excited :D The Mini's were fun to drive too. They reminded me of driving my classic (it helped that the car was yellow too...). I just like how they shaped the bonnet to make it look the the round fenders of the classic. :) It was cool.
Hi my name's Stephanie...
Max- 2024 Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Test Drove Mini's today....

Post by MiniManiac »

They are just like driving a classic except for ac, better brakes, no gas/oil smell.......... :lol:
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

LOL yeah and they go a little bit faster. :)
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Just a wee bit. Remember, my classic is running a 1275 and is putting down 70HP to the wheels!!!
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

LOL My classic has a 998cc and is putting around 40hp! LOL
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

OK I need some input from people who have new Mini's. Are the Xenon headlamps worth the 500 or are the stock headlamps with the front fog lamps just as good? Thanks for the comments.
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I'd definitely buy the Zenons, but then I'm old and my eyes aren't that good, especially at night.

Contrary to what you see from all those Suburbans running their foglights day and night - they do not help unless you're in low visibility conditions, when they're supposed to!

Fogs only light up right in front of the car, when you drive you're supposed to have your eyes up, looking as far down the road as you can, not right in front of your bumper. So use them correctly, low visibility conditions like rain, snow or fog (hence the name!) :D

Get the Zenons, you'll never want to drive at night without them again.........
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
DA MINI
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by DA MINI »

Go for the ZENONS and forget the comfort access. I unfortunately ended up with the regular headlights, but do use the fog lights for some extra illumination ( sorry Dave ).
In '07 the ZENONS were part of the sport package and in '08 they were not. I'd read so many posts on NAM about the sport package for '07 I thought they were still in the sport package. I recall the MA ( not Liz or Mary Ann) mentioning I would get the ZENONS.
Not having them is my biggest regret of my MINI.
Mr. F56
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Get the Xenons. They are worth every penny!
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
saturn

Post by saturn »

MiniManiac wrote:Get the Xenons. They are worth every penny!
:thumbsup2:
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

OK. :) I think I'm gonna leave off the fog lamps and just add on the xenon headlamps. LOL We've decided not to go for the iPod adapter or the comfort access too. :)
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
kenshin138
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by kenshin138 »

I second/third/fifth? the Xenon choice. My 06 has them and I love them. I also have fogs, which I also love. Our Xterra has normal headlights and no fogs, I feel like I am driving in the dark when I'm in it. As said, the fogs are useless for frontal visibility but help a lot with the area just in front of the car and to the sides (ie: ditches and whatnot).
Ryan
'12 MB/MB MCSa
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

And why exactly are you looking in the ditches and whatnot?

You're supposed to be looking ahead, on the road, and scanning the ditches and sides there - where your fogs don't reach.......

What is it with folks and their fog lights? This is the most amazing phenomenon............
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Counterfit_Mini wrote:OK. :) I think I'm gonna leave off the fog lamps and just add on the xenon headlamps. LOL We've decided not to go for the iPod adapter or the comfort access too. :)
If you get an S, you buy the Zenons and fogs are standard.........just sayin............... :D
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

LOL I'd love an S but I can't afford it. I was asking about the fog lights because I have them on my xB and they actually light up the road pretty good with the headlights...
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
saturn

Post by saturn »

IMHO, the stock fog-lights don't put off as much light as needed, so I upgraded to hyper yellow ones and what a difference. Might wanna consider possibly going that route
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

I think we're just gonna go with the xenons without the fog lamps...If we want more light later on I think we'll add the driving lamps to the front..
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
kenshin138
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by kenshin138 »

Minidave wrote:And why exactly are you looking in the ditches and whatnot?

You're supposed to be looking ahead, on the road, and scanning the ditches and sides there - where your fogs don't reach.......

What is it with folks and their fog lights? This is the most amazing phenomenon............
Deer
Curbs when parking at night (lots of help there)
Actual fog (rare)

My only gripe with my 06 fogs is I can't set it to always turn them on when I turn the headlights on.
Ryan
'12 MB/MB MCSa
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Thank God!

There are enough idiots running around with their fogs on day and night in clear weather as it is! I keep telling you guys, they don't help in clear weather - you 're fooling yourselves if you think they do. They are for low visibility conditions like fog, rain, snow etc.

They are annoying as hell in clear weather.........
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
kenshin138
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by kenshin138 »

OK I'll bite here. How are they any more, or less, annoying in clear conditions vs. having your headlights on all the time? (or even DRL?).

Now the rear fog light I have..THAT is annoying. I never knew until I was behind my far (wife driving). Its crazy bright and far as I can tell 100% useless. I do like having all my toggles filled though, no empty spot. :P
Ryan
'12 MB/MB MCSa
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Double the light in your eyes, double the glare, and double double all that when they're on a jacked up pickup truck or SUV and riding your rear bumper! :D

If people would just use the equipment the way it was intended instead for "coolness", all would be good.

I was following a bright red MBZ 350SLK the other day, 3:00 pm, clear day, lots of sun, top down, blonde hair blowing in the breeze, front and rear foglights blazing away.........sheesh........... :roll:
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Minidave wrote: I was following a bright red MBZ 350SLK the other day, 3:00 pm, clear day, lots of sun, top down, blonde hair blowing in the breeze, front and rear foglights blazing away.........sheesh........... :roll:
I don't understand having all your lights on when the sun is out and no clouds in sight. I have my fog lights on like yesterday when its raining real bad but if its just a dark day i'll turn my driving lights on... (BTW, you guys are hijacking my thread...)
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Sorry Steph, we now return you to your regularly scheduled thread............... :D

Let me say this, don't get too miserly with your options, you'll regret it later and it almost always costs more to add stuff after the fact than to just make it part of the car, especially with 1.9% financing.

Build it the way you want it.

Save $500 by not getting metallic paint and use that to get something else that's important to you.

Buy a stick shift instead of an automatic and you've got another $1100 to spend on other good stuff, and so on...............hey with those two options alone you're halfway there to buying an S!

Buy a car they have in stock and get a $1500 discount and you're there! Plus, you get to drive it right away instead of months from now.........
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
longlivekel

Post by longlivekel »

Trader...
haha
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Minidave wrote:Sorry Steph, we now return you to your regularly scheduled thread............... :D

Let me say this, don't get too miserly with your options, you'll regret it later and it almost always costs more to add stuff after the fact than to just make it part of the car, especially with 1.9% financing.

Build it the way you want it.

Save $500 by not getting metallic paint and use that to get something else that's important to you.

Buy a stick shift instead of an automatic and you've got another $1100 to spend on other good stuff, and so on...............hey with those two options alone you're halfway there to buying an S!

Buy a car they have in stock and get a $1500 discount and you're there! Plus, you get to drive it right away instead of months from now.........
Excellent advise!!

Buy what you want or you will regret it later.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW