When is the next garage day?

Meet-ups, happenings, MINI/Mini-friendly events organized by you!

Got an idea for a fun event? Post it here, make it happen!
Forum rules
In consideration of participating on this forum and events listed, you release, waive and discharge organizers of events of all liability, injury, loss or damage.
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

When is the next garage day?

Post by Zack »

Curious as to when the next garage day is. I have rear brakes I haven't done yet. I completed the front brakes with a friend but he had to drill out the set screws so the new set screws are not installed yet and would have to finish removal and rethreading of those holes to allow for those screws to be installed.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
2011 R55 Mini Cooper Clubman
2013 R56 Mini Cooper S JCW
2008 R56 MINI Cooper S JCW
2014 R55 MINI JCW Clubman
2017 F56 MINI Cooper S JCW
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: When is the next garage day?

Post by Minidave »

If you're talking about the set screws that hold the rotors on, you can easily live without them.

As to a garage day, it all depends on who needs what done, but my shop is available pretty much anytime......
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

Minidave wrote:If you're talking about the set screws that hold the rotors on, you can easily live without them.

As to a garage day, it all depends on who needs what done, but my shop is available pretty much anytime......
I pretty much need to do the rear brakes now. If the set screws aren't an issue I will leave it be. Concerned that the rear set screws might also be seized up.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Set screws are an unnecessary pain in the ass. I assume you used liquid wrench and banged the hell out of it with an impact screw driver. It took some brute force to get them out of Patricia's Honda.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I use an impact wrench (like you use to remove wheel bolts) and it always works best if you not only use some penetrating oil, but also tighten the screw slightly before you try to loosen it.

The set screws merely locate the rotor, the wheel bolts hold it in place, so you can certainly live without them.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

MiniManiac wrote:Set screws are an unnecessary pain in the ass. I assume you used liquid wrench and banged the hell out of it with an impact screw driver. It took some brute force to get them out of Patricia's Honda.
My buddy actually couldn't budge them at all and essentially drilled the heads off the screws. It was up on a lift at a repair shop in Lawrence that he works at. We both worked on it but he did the drill work.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Zackattack28 wrote:
MiniManiac wrote:Set screws are an unnecessary pain in the ass. I assume you used liquid wrench and banged the hell out of it with an impact screw driver. It took some brute force to get them out of Patricia's Honda.
My buddy actually couldn't budge them at all and essentially drilled the heads off the screws. It was up on a lift at a repair shop in Lawrence that he works at. We both worked on it but he did the drill work.
Wow! Had the brakes been replaced prior to this service?
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

I think they were the original brakes. The previously owner in five years of ownership only put 42K on the car.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Zackattack28 wrote:I think they were the original brakes. The previously owner in five years of ownership only put 42K on the car.
That's good for brakes!! LOL

At least you got them changed out.
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

MiniManiac wrote:
Zackattack28 wrote:I think they were the original brakes. The previously owner in five years of ownership only put 42K on the car.
That's good for brakes!! LOL

At least you got them changed out.
Just the fronts. The rears are next. I bought a 4-wheel kit so I still have those to do.
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
REDSLED

Post by REDSLED »

If ya take the ball end of a large ball ping hammer and hit the set screw 3-4 times then use an impact wrench and a t-50 they will come out. Ive found an impact driver doesn't work well with these. Since I've learned the little hammer trick I haven't had to drill anymore and I do a lot of mini brakes.
miclepickle

Post by miclepickle »

I have interest in a garage day. I am about to hit 100k miles. What maintenance should be done at this milestone?
Zack
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Zack »

miclepickle wrote:I have interest in a garage day. I am about to hit 100k miles. What maintenance should be done at this milestone?
Change the oil in your supercharger is one major thing I have been told. Assuming you have an R53
Bruno - 2022 JCW
Former MINI's
2006 R53 Mini Cooper S
miclepickle

Post by miclepickle »

R56, nothing really difficult really, I could probably handle it however the only car maintenance I have done myself before is an oil change.

100k service to my knowledge:
90 point check, fuel filter, coolant flush, serpentine belt, Spark plugs/wires.

I dont know if visually checking the timing chain is worth it? probably just needs to be replaced, I am getting some noise from it.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

miclepickle wrote:I have interest in a garage day. I am about to hit 100k miles. What maintenance should be done at this milestone?
Need a little more info about your car....and what's been done most recently.

You can also check your owner's manual for service requirements.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
miclepickle

Post by miclepickle »

it is a 2007 mini cooper S manual. I have only owned it since august, so my knowledge of what has been done is pretty limited. I have put 10k miles on it since then. (I know its a lot, I drive 24 miles one way to work.) I have replaced the clutch, and done 2 oil changes. Other than that it is hard to know what has been done to it. Before i bought it I had it checked out at KC Autosport and they said it had timing chain noise, which will probably need to be replaced eventually. When I got a new clutch a few months ago they were not thinking it was necessary yet. How do you know when it is time?
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

A timing chain, if it's making noise now it needs replaced now. This is an interference engine, meaning, if the chain slips a tooth from being loose or it breaks, the valves and pistons will meet in a very expensive way.

As to service, check the cabin filter, and air filter, brake pads and rotors....other than that I think you're good to go if KC didn't find anything else that needed attention.

On some of these early cars replacing the valve cover with the later versions stops an oil burning issue that can cause carbon buildup on the intake valves and ports - to fix this requires removing the intake manifold and walnut blasting the ports and valves.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
miclepickle

Post by miclepickle »

I have noticed that I Occasionally need to add oil, not really sure if its being leaked or burnt.

what will I need to bring to do the timing chain?
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I'm sorry, a timing chain is too big a job for a garage day.....at least in my shop.

However, the most important thing I think you'd need are the tools to lock the cams down while you change it - I think they also use a pin to lock the crank, but I'm not sure.....be sure to get all of the slides, cam gears, crank gear and latest tensioner too. I think Baron sells a kit, but if not they'll have all the latest stuff and they'll know exactly what you need.

You might find it to be one of those jobs you should have the experts do, like your clutch.

Garage days are for doing light maintenance, brakes, shocks, plugs, oil changes, installing trailer hitches, tire rotations etc.

I don't think we'll be pulling any more superchargers either, it seems they always require far more time than anticipated - although we can certainly do supercharger pulley changeouts as long as they aren't JCW's....we don't have a puller for them and it requires removing the s'charger to cut them off.

Also, check the oil feed line to the turbo, sometimes they fry the o-ring and leak at the turbo.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
miclepickle

Post by miclepickle »

oh, my mistake.

I thought I heard it wasn't a terribly complicated job if you had the mini specific tools for the job.
nine5raptor
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by nine5raptor »

It may also be covered under a campaign at Baron. Seems like lots of folks are getting Timing Chains swapped out outside of warranty as long as your call meets certain criteria. Might be worth giving them a call to find out first if you can get it replaced for free.
2010 MCS CR/W with some custom vinyl, JCW sport suspension (minus FSB), CNT cat back, Add a brake, Alta AP, Devil's Own H2O/Meth Injection, random other little stuff, and some good ol' mud flaps
miclepickle

Post by miclepickle »

I asked them if it had a recall and they brought back a paper with all the recalls and the timing chain wasnt on the list... maybe I should have said something different.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

It's not a recall.....it's a goodwill service campaign as I understand it....and they do it on a case by case basis.

There is absolutely no risk in asking about it, that's for sure.....take the car over to Baron and see what they say.
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
SWT CHI

Post by SWT CHI »

Minidave wrote:You might find it to be one of those jobs you should have the experts do, like your clutch.
I'm ordering a Valeo kit as soon as tomorrow. I was considering DIY in Olathe, if any of my friends can spare a pair of hands. I've done RWD longitudinal clutchs, but maybe I'd be getting in over my head.

If not DIY, then Ulrich gets the job.

Perfect timing: 10 days until baby is due to come.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

It's not that hard, but it's a lot of work.....it will take at least 2 days to complete....
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"