Baron MINI changes (rumors/facts/etc.)

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
kenshin138
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by kenshin138 »

The 09 cabrio will have the new interior which IMHO is much nicer than the 1st gen interior. It should also, as mentioned, have pop-up roll bars which would remove the most hated issue with the car.

As far as engines, from my limited experience the turbo engine feels stronger and smoother. Its also nice that the JCW upgrade is a LOT less money for the turbo than the supercharged version.

Now if JCW could just get their auto-transmission package to pass emissions so you could consider it. :(

I would personally wait and see the R57 unless you find a great deal on an 08....which you won't. 8)
Ian McMini

Post by Ian McMini »

Thank you, DDodge, for your great expanation of the DTC. Given that information, maybe DTC is not for me. I prefer more direct control and response. Perhaps the DST and DTC have an on/off switch, though?

I also appreciate saturn's comments about factors to consider. In my jones to return to a topless vehicle (though I'm not too sure about taking the doors off my MINI...) I forgot about the first model year flaws. Shelling out those kind of bucks for a car that "has some bugs that need to be worked out" would really hack me off. But, wait a whole nother year? I'm an open air motoring junkie and I need a fix! I'm guessing ragtopday knows what I'm saying....

I'll have to do some contrast and comparison between superchargers and turbos. If anyone has knowledge or opinions on the two systems, I would love to read them.

kenshin138 - does the turbo have a lag, or have they overcome that in the years since I last owned a turbocharged car? Also, you mentioned the JCW and automatic. Anyone have an opinion on how effective Baron's dealer installed mods are in comparison to the JCW equipment? I guess, to some extent, the comparison doesn't matter if I can't get the JCW on an automatic...

Great motoring, y'all.
Big Papi

Post by Big Papi »

Ian-

I own the R56 and I have driven the previous generation models to mine. IMHO the R56 is the best version of the MINI to date. The turbo is marketed as a "zero lag turbo" and I can vouch that this is true. The turbo is smooth, the torque is awesome and the ride is excellent. I also wanted a rag top for a while but in the end I am glad I went with the hard top, personal choice :D . Mine is an automatic and I use the F1 paddles all of the time and I am very glad I went this route. There are days that having an automatic is very nice and hassle free, but I do love running through the gears when it suits me. :twisted:

Satisfying the demon inside is a difficult cross to bare so the choices ultimately come down to what you want and can afford. Saturn has stated what we have all said time and time again to those in need.

As most know I am a big Baron supporter and my dealings with them have excceded my expectations everytime. I know a lot of people do not like that there is only one MINI dealer in the city but if you look at the standard corporate model this is usually the case for a lot of the high end car dealers in Kansas City and the midwest. MINI is not known for having a lot of dealers in one area so understand that concept and also know that once your warranty runs out the people on this website generally know of several different places that can service your vehicle if you choose not to go to Baron.

Also, Baron is beginning a large growth expansion and MINI will finally move out of the basement and into their own newly renovated building. If I remeber correctly when the VW building was originally built it cost $3MM so the supposed $2MM being used for renovations should make it an excellent facility for all. I would imagine with the extra service bays and space, the excellent treatment we receive is only going to get better. Don't take our word for it go see them and make your own evaluation, this is what I did before dropping $30K.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out. Happy Motoring....
kenshin138
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by kenshin138 »

Yea, I noticed no turbo lag when I test drove two different S model R56 (one clubman, one normal).

++EDIT++

I stand corrected:

http://www.motoringfile.com/2008/08/28/ ... #more-7004
MINI USA will shortly be announcing immediate availability of the JCW engine tuning kit for the automatic R56 Cooper S. This is the same kit that was mistakenly released for a couple weeks late last year without US certification (however those cars did not receive the correct ECU update that unleashed most of the power of the kit) After lengthy testing MINI USA has received full certification from the EPA and sales can now officially begin. Here’s an excerpt from the internal MINI USA document announcing the release:

It’s worth noting that MINI USA has only released the kit for cars built prior to 07.08. An updated kit with a modified exhaust mount will be released for newer cars later in 2008.

Here’s the official part number and pricing information:

John Cooper Works Tuning Kit:

* Part#: 11 12 0 440 236
* MSRP: $ 2,100
* Installation time: 2.0hrs

FYI - there is no information at this time on the R55 JCW Engine Kit.
LittleRed

Post by LittleRed »

Have you seen the current cabrio with the sidewalk package? I'm not sure not all is included in the package but it sure is sharp looking. I've seen a quite a few out here.
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

Ian McMini wrote: I'm an open air motoring junkie and I need a fix! I'm guessing ragtopday knows what I'm saying....
I've got no idea what you're talking about, this open air motoring junkie business. :wink: Gotta run...the sun is shining!!! :lol:
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
dimini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dimini »

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new MINI based upon having only one dealership in KC. Baron has treated me exceptionally well with the three new cars I've purchased/leased.

I'm sympathetic to the VW owners who now have to go back to "typical" car dealerships for their needs. Selfishly, though, I'm excited to see even more commitment to the MINI madness.

Off topic, but I've had a few waves from R56 owners! Right on... the wave's not dead among the "Gen2" owners.
'06 MCS JCW daily driver & classic mini pick-up
saturn

Post by saturn »

Ian McMini wrote: I also appreciate saturn's comments about factors to consider. In my jones to return to a topless vehicle (though I'm not too sure about taking the doors off my MINI...) I forgot about the first model year flaws. Shelling out those kind of bucks for a car that "has some bugs that need to be worked out" would really hack me off. But, wait a whole nother year? I'm an open air motoring junkie and I need a fix! I'm guessing ragtopday knows what I'm saying....
I would hate to think that I'm trying to talk someone out of something that they really want, perhaps a more in-depth explanation would be a bit more helpful in weighing your decision: When the R53's first came to the US, I along with mostly everyone fell immediately in love, but, as with most cars, waited because it was the first model year. I was soooo glad that I did because for the most part they were plagued with problems, not all, but too many for me to like. That along with the way they were being handled at many dealerships literally turned me away from the car altogether. People were having to fight tooth and nail to get "design flaws" covered under warranty. There were cars with under 20,000 miles on them needing a new transmission, or clutches going out with under 8,000 miles on the odometer and dealerships were blaming the owners saying "Oh, it must be the way that you drive." Forums such as this one and "other mini forums" were bringing fanatics in droves to help share in their experiences. In my opinion, that helped kick Mini in the pants and stand-up and pay attention. They really did have a good product, but it could be that much better. When to 2007 R56 model came out, my jaw dropped. To me, that was the better I had been waiting for. (I am not knocking any R53's or their owners) They had for the most part, improved on the things that most owners were dissatisfied with on the R53's. Especially the center console! Mini had made me start to pay attention once again, but as I mentioned before, it was a "first year" model and so I waited. I gathered up all information about the "new problems and issues" that people were experiencing with the R56's and, to me, there were no major ones. The opportunity came in January of 2008 for me to own one of my very own and I had already done over 9 months of research and planning to get one in my driveway. Baron was having a clearance of sorts to move out the remaining 07 models that they had and had even lowered the financing interest rate. The rest was history.
I am paying a little over $30,000 for this car, and it's well worth every penny. I HAVE had some minor issues, but, they have all been covered under warranty, without question. I have ALWAYS been treated with kindness, and respect with every visit that I have had at Baron. One of the best dealerships I have ever done business with.
The new convertible will basically be a drop-top version of the current R56 body, while it is a "new" bodystyle, the main portion of it will be R56 which will be on it's third year of production. Sorry for being a little long, but if you look back in history, there are always cars famous for some kind of issue that took years for car-makers to change. Just out of the cars my family had owned whether it was the mid 90's GM S10 truck or blazer with the bad heater core, or the mid 90's Taurus with the trannys giving out at 90,000 miles, or the Dodge products with bad motors/trannies. Part of what makes the owning a car better, is how the dealership treats you when you DO have a problem, and how it's handled.
Hope this helps.
DDodge

Post by DDodge »

I know the DSC has an on/off switch, so, if it's off, I imagine the DTC is off, too. Sometimes you might have to turn it off to get unstuck in the snow. Much as I like to be a macho driver, I leave my DSC on all the time. This winter I intend to take mine out to a big, empty parking lot covered with snow and/or ice and find out exactly what the DSC does.

I haven't driven the turbo version, but the standard line on turbos vs supers is that turbos are more efficient (true), but have lag (not so true these days). I doubt that the turbo has any more lag than the supercharged version - you really don't get much from the supercharged one under about 3500 rpm, which is about what you would expect from a turbo. The power comes on with a rush at about 3500 in the supercharged version.

I have no dealer mods, so can't speak to that.

Don D
Ian McMini wrote:Thank you, DDodge, for your great expanation of the DTC. Given that information, maybe DTC is not for me. I prefer more direct control and response. Perhaps the DST and DTC have an on/off switch, though?

I'll have to do some contrast and comparison between superchargers and turbos. If anyone has knowledge or opinions on the two systems, I would love to read them.

kenshin138 - does the turbo have a lag, or have they overcome that in the years since I last owned a turbocharged car? Also, you mentioned the JCW and automatic. Anyone have an opinion on how effective Baron's dealer installed mods are in comparison to the JCW equipment? I guess, to some extent, the comparison doesn't matter if I can't get the JCW on an automatic...

Great motoring, y'all.
Big Papi

Post by Big Papi »

As I had mentioned earlier the turbo is boasted as "zero lag turbo", I can attest to this that it is true. The response is instantious and I have driven both turbos and suercharged versions in test drives over the course of four years, waiting for the perfect vehicle.

With no insult to anyone who has owned a MINI prior to me, I do believe that the R56 is by far the best version of the car (until the next one comes out). The response is so quick and torque is unbelieviable, have you driven one yet?
kabootist

Post by kabootist »

I have to chime in....honestly, I don't see the R56 being much better than an 2006 R53, especially for the extra cost of new to almost new. Personally I dont like the interior of the R56, the radio area looks funny. I guess its the reason I got rid of my 03 for an 06, i loved the 03 but wanted the security that comes with something that has been developed for 5 years rather than 2. But when it comes to my 06 with the JCW kit compared to the 09 JCW, id go with the 09 if the prices where lower, that the only thing holding me back.
Big Papi

Post by Big Papi »

Kabootist-

It is funny that you mention the radio because that is one of the big reasons why I waited. I did not care for the radio configuration for the R53, but with it being relocated in the R56 to where it is now, which I personally love, MINI was able to free up a little more width for the driver and passenger legs.
kabootist

Post by kabootist »

I am the biggest person of doing what makes you feel better or what works for the individual, and clearly mini allows you to do that. Again, I just have my opinions of the R56, that make me rather have an R53...again all great cars, i just prefer to have an R53...im sure one of these days ill be driving around in an R56 JCW....but just not worth the cost when I got something very close to equal for 15k less.
Big Papi

Post by Big Papi »

It's cool I ain't mad at ya" :D everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I needed the leg room on the R56 so that was the biggest reason for me.
Ian McMini

Post by Ian McMini »

You guys are awesome. Thank you so much for sharing your opinions, knowledge and experiences.
sundance
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by sundance »

Just to chime in on the whole R56 (2007+) vs. the R50/R53 (2002-2006 MC and MCS respectively) debate.

From a development standpoint the 2007 MINI is a first year build. The car is completely new. Every body panel, the engine, the interior, virtually every part - all new and first year products.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the R56, just that it's really not a six year old car but a first (next) generation auto.
2006 John Cooper Works GP - Stock