Highway Mileage Numbers

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
DDodge

Highway Mileage Numbers

Post by DDodge »

Just took the Mini to Bettendorf IA and back this weekend. It's an 06 S Model that seems to be running fine. Premium gas.

I aired up the tires to 40 and ran approximately 73-4 mph (real mph per GPS) using the cruise control. No appreciable wind either way. The trip is about 360 miles each way. Mileage is per the car's computer.

I saw no sign of people staying off the highways on I-80 between Des Moines and Bettendorf.

Up on Friday: 28.6
Back on Sunday: 30.1

Don D
kabootist

Post by kabootist »

Thats about what my 03 did with the usual set of mods, CAI, pulley, etc. As for Mr. Checkmate JCW, i think one time i checked and it was around 27-28mpgs, but i know i wasn't going at a constant speed.
Laurie
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Laurie »

Why the heck did you go to Bettendorf? I only ask cause that is my hometown. I graduated BHS 1987 and moved to OP in 1988.

Why would people be "staying off the highways between Des Moines and Bettendorf"?
~Laurie~

2022 Midnight Black Metalic MINI Cooper SE “Electric Boogie”
2005 Chili Red MCS "Kevin"

2016 Blazing Red Metallic 4 door MCS
RIP 2013 Blazing Red Metallic Justa Countryman

First MINI 2005 Black Eye Purple MCS
DDodge

Post by DDodge »

My daughter and her husband work for the Army (Corps, Armory, etc.). If you are from Bettendorf, kid, perhaps you can tell me why the roads are so AWFUL. In a Mini with runflats, you might as well have no suspension at all. A ride in Bettendorf consists of - thump, thump, thump, THUMP, thump, thump. . .

In answer to your question, I had heard that many people were not traveling because of high gas prices - well, you couldn't prove it from I-80. The thing is like rush hour, all the way to Des Moines.

Don D
Laurie wrote:Why the heck did you go to Bettendorf? I only ask cause that is my hometown. I graduated BHS 1987 and moved to OP in 1988.

Why would people be "staying off the highways between Des Moines and Bettendorf"?
Laurie
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Laurie »

Do they work at the Rock Island Arsenal?

I can't help you with the roads in Bettendorf. I left 20 years ago! I have noticed that they are a little "thumpy" though.

Those MPG seem to be around what I get on my 05 MCS as well. Last time I went up to Iowa they were the opposite of yours though. I think I had a nice wind behind pushing me up there!
~Laurie~

2022 Midnight Black Metalic MINI Cooper SE “Electric Boogie”
2005 Chili Red MCS "Kevin"

2016 Blazing Red Metallic 4 door MCS
RIP 2013 Blazing Red Metallic Justa Countryman

First MINI 2005 Black Eye Purple MCS
mcconned
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by mcconned »

If you want/need to track your gas mileage, etc. check out www.fuelly.com .
It's a free service. Every time you fill up you record distance driven, number of gallons bought, price per gallon, etc. You can also note where you bought the gas.
In return, you're shown:
*Total fuel ups.
*Average miles driven between fuel ups.
*Average price per gallon all time and last 30 days.
*Average price per fill up.
*Total miles tracked.
*Average MPG.
*Average cost per mile.
And more.

I'm tracking my daily driver/company car on it. It can be eye opening.
Dan McConnell
SCCA-Sports Car Club of America.
DDodge

Post by DDodge »

Yes, but they both have top secret clearances, so I'm not sure what the hell they do. :)

I checked the cars computer against the miles and gallons and got the same result. Note: Bettendorf is absolutely the farthest you're going to go on a tankfull. I took 12.9 gallons in Bettendorf and 13.3 back at home. The red light was on both times. :)

Don D
Laurie wrote:Do they work at the Rock Island Arsenal?

I can't help you with the roads in Bettendorf. I left 20 years ago! I have noticed that they are a little "thumpy" though.

Those MPG seem to be around what I get on my 05 MCS as well. Last time I went up to Iowa they were the opposite of yours though. I think I had a nice wind behind pushing me up there!
Big Papi

Post by Big Papi »

Nuclear Silo workers? They could tell you but then they would have to kill you? :D :D :D :P :P :P
monza

Post by monza »

I just drove up to Minneapolis this last weekend in the 03 MCS. 450mi each way, cruise set to 73 according to the trip computer (75 indicated on speedo). Actual calculated MPG (not using the computer) was 33.1mpg. This was at the end of the trip, accumulated miles divided by total gas used (topped off when got home, left with full tank). No A/C (perfect weather for open roof and cracked windows!)

Car has 15%, MM CAI, Borla, & Custom Programming...

I was actually disappointed in the numbers. This is the first time I have had it on the highway for a long drive. I get almost that good with my 3700lb Saab, and used to get 40mpg with a Neon... I suppose it is all in the gearing. Doesnt really bother me all that much, as I drive the MCS primarily in town...
kabootist

Post by kabootist »

33mpg is really good, at least I think, compared to my 2 Minis.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

Yeah, I've never gotten that good either, but I haven't done a long trip with no A/C on..........still, I normally get in the mid 20's.........
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
aris_poerwanto

Post by aris_poerwanto »

Right now I am averaging 20 mpg. (><)
LittleRed

Post by LittleRed »

I got 40 mpg on the drive to Philly (cruise set to 80mph and no AC) but the boot was loaded with stuff. City driving I usually get 27-30 mpg.
JohnBLZ

Post by JohnBLZ »

Recent 5100 mile roadtrip we averaged around 36 with in varied driving. If I recall correctly I was getting over 45mpg in Yellowstone with a top speed of ~45MPH.
monza

Post by monza »

LittleRed wrote: City driving I usually get 27-30 mpg.
Yeah, same here. Depends on how easy I am on the throttle. I tried once to see how good I could get on one tank. Starting super low acceleration (pissing off everyone behind me) I got 32mpg city. Most of the time 28-ish is about what I get.

Image <--Hell yeah, Ted Drewes rocks!
LittleRed

Post by LittleRed »

monza wrote: Hell yeah, Ted Drewes rocks!
I can't go home to STL without getting Ted Drewes!!!!!! That picture is two of my favorite things!! :D :D
DDodge

Post by DDodge »

aris_poerwanto wrote:Right now I am averaging 20 mpg. (><)
I live about five or six blocks from work and that is about what I get. Never been above 23 or so in town.

Don D
DDodge

Post by DDodge »

Just got back from 2600+ mile trip to Niagara Falls, Toronto, Sault St Marie, etc.

Climate control was always on - 30.5 mpg.

Aside: I use the British male voice, Daniel, on my nüvi - he thought Sault St. Marie was Salt Sweet Marie. :)

Don D
bfrance

Post by bfrance »

Is this thread just for R53 drivers? :D

My car is still green, just about 870 miles. First tank I went 435 miles before the last two ticks turned red and I got the obligatory bong letting me know I was getting low. Based off of the miles I had driven at that point, (435 miles) and the amount it took to fill up the tank, (12.293 gallons,) I calculated just over 35mpg (35.39 to be exact.)

This is on a '09 "justacooper" with the 6 speed manual trans. This tank seems to be going a little quicker, but it might be due to my, ahem, slightly more spirited acceleration with this tank. :P (Still keeping it under 4k and no full throttle, per Baron's recommendation for the fist 1200 miles.)

I love this car! Never had something so fun that is also so frugal with gas!!!!

-Ben
dimini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dimini »

I just did a RT to St. Louis last week in my '06 MCS JCW. For the most part, I was on cruise control at 74mph (clocked w/Nuvi) and I got between 28.8 and 30.1 mpg. It varied as I lead footed from time to time to get past clusters of big trucks.
'06 MCS JCW daily driver & classic mini pick-up
GRIN-N

Post by GRIN-N »

For the first month we were getting 18-20 mpg. (I really like the sounds of generated at 4-6,000 rpm.) Now I think the computer is saying 23 average. I'll continue to work on it.
Big Papi

Post by Big Papi »

I got 450 miles on one tank of Premium fuel, average 32.2 mpg. Had to drive exact speed limits, did not go over at all, in the summer with no a/c, but roof was open and windows were down. Also a combo of city and highway driving.
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by IowaM1N1 »

2002 R50 Cooper, 5 speed. Approx 65,000 miles. Owned since new in April 2002.

Overall lifetime mileage (225 fill-ups) = 30.47mpg
Best tank ever = 37.75
Worst tank ever = 23.32

Last 5 tanks average (lots of weekend highway between KC & DM, with weekday commuting within KC) = 27.83

Since gas got cheap, my highway speeds have started creeping back up to mid-70s (78 is mid-70s, right?), so mileage is starting to fall. That plus the winter fuel mix is bringing my mileage down.

Six months ago my 'last 5 fill-ups' were running around 33-34 mpg. Premium was over $4 and I was doing 65mph, and it was early summer so I wasn't running AC.

Greg
Greg
'19 Emerald Grey/Chili Red JCW (F56) <---- Greg's car
'08 Dark Silver/Black Cooper S convertible JCW (R52) <---- Greg's other car
'02 BRG/White Cooper (R50) Iowa plate: M1N1 <-----Judy's car
Des Moines/KC/whatever
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Highway Mileage Numbers

Post by IowaM1N1 »

DDodge wrote: I saw no sign of people staying off the highways on I-80 between Des Moines and Bettendorf.
I *hate* the drive west-bound from Quad Cities to DM. So many trucks and too many hills. You get stuck every couple miles behind 2 trucks climbing a hill at 58 mph.

Then again, it could be something more psychological on my part. See, I'm originally from Ohio, and been living in DM for almost 20 years. So I know I-80 between DM and Cleveland VERY well. Probably made the drive 50 times or more (at least 2x/year).

By the time I hit the MS river, I've been on the road for at least 8 hours and I'm ready to be home. And I know I have another 2.75 hours before I'm there.

But the truck traffic still does suck.

Greg
Greg
'19 Emerald Grey/Chili Red JCW (F56) <---- Greg's car
'08 Dark Silver/Black Cooper S convertible JCW (R52) <---- Greg's other car
'02 BRG/White Cooper (R50) Iowa plate: M1N1 <-----Judy's car
Des Moines/KC/whatever
Punk_Mini

Post by Punk_Mini »

According to my Scangauge2 I get between 25-40mpg all depends on terrain I have noticed. Going though northern texas where it is flatter then kansas I got 44mpg and a maximum range of 500 miles. I went from amarillo, tx to farmington, nm which is 466 miles I had a quarter tank left and 150 miles to go when I arrived.

I also think low intake and exhaust helps somewhat which at the time I had the oem tube and an HKS Super Mega Reloaded filter and for exhaust a megan racing header and alta 2.5". Since then I have killed the resonator on the alta exhaust and at AMVIV won a gift certificate from M7 so I got the DDM/M7 intake which I am thinking about going back to the HKS because not only was it had very very low restriction it also made the SC sound totally different.