Countryman Announced

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
kenshin138
MINIAC
MINIAC

Countryman Announced

Post by kenshin138 »

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/20/mini ... -unveiled/
Fun has no Limits: The MINI Countryman*. (* The name of the car may vary in some markets.)

MINI is adding a fourth model to the family, opening up a new dimension of that unmistakable MINI feeling. As a genuine Crossover, the MINI Countryman bridges the gap between the classic concept of the MINI and a modern Sports Activity Vehicle. Boasting enhanced opportunities in urban mobility and beyond, the MINI Countryman offers that unique driving pleasure so typical of MINI to new target groups requiring extra space and flexibility. As the first model in the MINI range with four doors and a wide-opening rear lid, the MINI Countryman provides even greater freedom of space for truly versatile use, a slightly elevated seating position, and optimized driving comfort. Full integration of the passengers within the vehicle creates that driving experience so typical of MINI. And at the same time the MINI Countryman maintains that go-kart feeling likewise so characteristic of MINI, optional MINI ALL4 all-wheel drive offering an additional highlight for the genuine connoisseur. In a nutshell, therefore, the MINI Countryman offers all the characteristic features of the brand in terms of design, premium quality, handling, efficiency and customisation in new, fascinating style.

The MINI Countryman carries on the design of the brand in superior style and quality, combining larger body dimensions, greater ground clearance and four doors at the side with those unmistakable design features so characteristic of MINI. Short overhangs, a high window line, powerful stance on the wheels, and window graphics extending round the entire car create those unique proportions so typical of MINI. At the same time the MINI Countryman re-interprets the characteristic icons of a MINI such as the roofline, the hexagon radiator grille, the large headlights integrated in the engine lid, the surrounds on the side direction indicators, the voluminous wheel arches and the upright rear light clusters in new style and class.

Proceeding from that design language so typical of MINI, the MINI Countryman authentically visualises the particular features of this very special car. Positioned almost upright, the front end bears out strong presence and serves to optimise pedestrian safety. The extra space within the car, in turn, is emphasised by extra-large windows, the introduction of four doors, and the individual shape of the roof. The particularly wide frame around the lower part of the body and the powerfully flared wheel arches highlight the robust character of the car and its all-wheel drive. With that typical MINI style now being conveyed to a new segment in absolute clarity and precision, the MINI Countryman stands out from the start as a brand-new, highly innovative model but is nevertheless clearly identifiable from the very beginning as a genuine MINI.

Within the interior again typical of the brand, the MINI Countryman boasts innovative design and function elements throughout. The slightly elevated seating position guarantees comfortable and pleasant access to the car, optimises the driver's all-round view, and underlines the powerful character of this new model. The Central Display and air vents are surrounded by coloured rings. The MINI Center Rail quite unique the world over, extending from front to rear instead of a conventional centre console, opens up new, individual options for integrating all kinds of storage boxes, cupholders, external audio devices, mobile telephones and other comfort features. Flexibly positioned clip-in elements enable the driver and passengers to subdivide the storage boxes individually as required, keeping travel utensils within easy reach, wherever they are required. At the same time the Center Rail forms an unconventional, visual and functional connection between the front seats and the rear passenger compartment.

The MINI Countryman comes as standard with four seats, while a three-seat bench is available as a no-cost option. The interior offers superior comfort also on long distances, with generous legroom, headroom and shoulder freedom. The rear seats move fore-and-aft either individually or in a 60 : 40 (three-seat bench) split, the backrests may be tilted for angle either individually or in a 40 : 20 : 40 (three-seat bench) arrangement, increasing capacity in the luggage compartment from 350 to 1,170 litres (12.2–41.0 cu ft).

The MINI Countryman is entering the market with a choice of three petrol and two diesel engines, all coming in the new generation of power units developed with the full know-how of the BMW Group and naturally complying with the EU5 and, respectively, ULEV II emission standards. The power range extends from 66 kW/90 hp in the MINI One D Countryman all the way to 135 kW/184 hp in the MINI Cooper S Countryman. The 1.6-litre four-cylinder petrol engine in the top model comes for the first time not only with a twin-scroll turbocharger and direct fuel injection, but also with fully variable valve management offering by far the best balance of engine power and fuel consumption in its class. As a particular highlight of the MINIMALISM fuel efficiency concept, the MINI Countryman comes as standard and in appropriate combinations on each model with a wide range of features serving to reduce fuel consumption and emissions, among them Brake Energy Regeneration, Auto Start Stop, a gearshift point indicator, and on-demand management of the engine's ancillary units. And as an alternative to the six-speed manual gearbox featured as standard, the petrol engine models are also available with six-speed automatic complete with Steptronic.

As an option the MINI Cooper S Countryman and MINI Cooper D Countryman are available with permanent MINI ALL4 all-wheel drive, an electrohydraulic differential positioned directly on the final drive varying the distribution from front to rear in an infinite process. Under normal driving conditions up to 50 per cent of the engine's power goes to the rear wheels, under extreme conditions up to 100 per cent, offering a new, high-traction rendition of that agile handling so typical of MINI. This superior traction and drivetrain technology is based on the top-end suspension of the MINI including features such as the front axle with McPherson spring struts and forged track control arms, the multi-arm rear axle and EPS Electric Power Steering complete with Servotronic. The MINI Countryman furthermore comes as standard with DSC Dynamic Stability Control, DTC Dynamic Traction Control coming either as an option or as a standard feature on the MINI Cooper S Countryman and the MINI Cooper D Countryman with ALL4, as well as an electronic limited-slip function for the front axle differential.

Designed for optimum safety in the event of a collision, the body structure with its precisely defined load paths and deformation zones ensures passive safety of the highest calibre. Frontal and side airbags as well as curtain airbags at the side both front and rear, three-point inertia-reel seat belts on all seats, belt latch tensioners and belt force limiters at the front, as well as ISOFIX child seat fastenings at the rear all come as standard. Yet another standard feature is the Tyre Defect Indicator, with runflat tyres coming as an option and standard on the MINI Cooper S Countryman with ALL4.

The wide range of customisation options on both the exterior and interior again so typical of MINI are supplemented by new, model-specific features exclusive to the MINI Countryman. New combinations in the range of interior colours, trim strips and upholstery enable even the most discerning customer to create his – or her – very special car with truly unique character. The wide range of standard features boasted by the MINI Countryman includes highlights such as air conditioning, the MINI Center Rail, and an audio system complete with a CD player. The equally wide range of options and special equipment tailored to each model comes with features such as high-end audio and navigation systems as well as mobile telephone interfaces including the option to completely integrate an Apple iPhone and other Smartphones in the car. Further options are the extra-large Panorama roof, Adaptive Headlights in combination with xenon headlight units, a heated windscreen, a towbar, light-alloy wheels ranging in size from 16 to 19 inches, sports suspension lowering the entire car by 10 millimetres or almost 0.4", as well as the wide range of John Cooper Works Performance Components.
Ryan
'12 MB/MB MCSa
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: Countryman Announced

Post by Minidave »

Front wheel drive only S model starts at $29,995, All Wheel drive at $34,9995! :shock:
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
kenshin138
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by kenshin138 »

Where are you seeing pricing? Unless I am totally blind.
Ryan
'12 MB/MB MCSa
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

It was in an another article I read on another forum *cough* carnuts.us * cough :mrgreen:

You add a few options and you could easily be talking $40K, there are a lot of cars you can buy at that price point, but most of the people I've talked to about it are excited, even at that cost......
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
monza

Post by monza »

The original intent BMW had with MINI was to make a stepping stone product below the cost of the then entry level 3-series for people to get into the BMW family. Here we are 8-years later and that line is getting blured anyway, and now the Countryman starts at $30k, which we all know there wont be any 'Base Model' cars on the lot, they will all have some level of options/accessories pushing them to $35k+

For $35k, im getting a 135i.

Plus, I just dont dig it.
kabootist

Post by kabootist »

Agreed with Monza, with average kit inside, 35k seems steep (w/ or w/o AWD). I would think they would start this thing at 25k and mildly kitted out at 30k.

either way, its a BMW x1, with mini badging. I thought the rest of the world learned that doesn't work out well...GM. Personally, with the rebates and discounts (due to poor sales) they are giving on X5 diesels, I'd rather spend the 45k and get something that is much more versatile, tows stuff, larger, AWD, better equipped, and still gets 30 MPG.

For compairisons sake, take the MB GLK, (personal opinion approaching) it is a very slick car, all the fun stuff, base model is leather and has most of the goodies and its 35k for a mid size suv...the countryman is a compact SUV for the same price...crazy.
LiLReD1

Post by LiLReD1 »

U-G-L-Y... didn't know a "MINI" would ever be apart of the american "SUV's-bigger-is-better" agenda. How about they just stick with the "mini" MINI, and go from there. It looks like it's a Hyundai or KIA anyways! I DID however like the pictures/improvements of the interior. Just pull a Subaru and lift the Clubbie a tad (if at all) and make it AWD with another 50hp, and call it a "Shoutback" MINI or somethin'.
MiniGeoff
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniGeoff »

Count me in the 'no' category as well. If I want an SUV, that's what I'll buy, and this thing may be a 'big' MINI, but it's still not a big vehicle, and I don't need and SUV anyway. For that kind of money and 4 doors and all wheel drive, I start at Audi A4s and probably don't go any farther. MINIs aren't supposed to be practical anyway.

This is just BMW trying to cash in on the crossover market. It's not a MINI, it's an X5 or X3 in MINI badges with some 'cool' stuff added on to make it hip.

Of course I also want to burn every Porche Cayenne I see to the ground. How can you spend $100k on a 500 HP Porche and it doesn't say '911' on it? :twisted:
03 PS/Bl MCS - Alta CAI - Alta 15% pulley - Denso Irdiums - Kingsborne wires - Screamin' Deamon Coil - Yellow Konis - H-Sport Springs - H-Sport rear swaybar - H-Sport adjustable rear control arms - M7 Front strut brace - Sold
06 Subaru WRX
monza

Post by monza »

ksminiman
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by ksminiman »

i want to drive one. I like the interior but agree the exterior is a bit blah. if the price were down then I might be thinking otherwise but that is too high. the clubman was too high for my taste when it came out. Heck the current new mini is too high in price. the 1st gen new mini started at 16k for a cooper and 19k for an S. now a cooper is 19K base price! what is up with that. that is why I got my 06 instead of a newer one. the price was too high for what /i was looking for.
Hi. My name is Tommy.
06 MCS named Yoshi, BRG/BRG, Panther black leather, LSD, Navigation, Cold Weather, Premium, Sport, and Convenience Packages. ALTA 15% V2, M7 STDs, 16" Rota RBs.
DDodge

Post by DDodge »

monza wrote:Image
When you're right, you're right!
DA MINI
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by DA MINI »

Talking with a MA Saturday and was told they had an order for a JCW Cluibman listing out at $48K - before Samer gets his hands on it.
So how is this expensive at $35K? :?:
Mr. F56
dimini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by dimini »

35K is expensive. 48K is insane!
'06 MCS JCW daily driver & classic mini pick-up
monza

Post by monza »

$35k is expensive whether its an R56, Clubbie, or Countryman. Thats 135i or 128ic territory.

$48k is in Z4, Boxter, and TTS range!

I love MINI, but I would never spend the coin on one that could get a Boxter in my garage. ..or if I follow the way I really procure cars (clean used top enders) I could have an RS4, M3, 911 RS America, etc...
getsalot

Post by getsalot »

Hmm..first pic looked like the hamster car with the kewl mood lighting and tune's...lol. One under the new's story kinda look's like a "limo-style" mini S. Think i'll stick with my S convertible. We use our real roomier ride..Escalade.. when we want/need more room and All4 :ps: :ps: :ps: :lol: ...lol.
minicoopers43
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by minicoopers43 »

Here is a video i came across of the countryman, it doesn't show much of it though.
http://jalopnik.com/5484212/minis-marke ... -a-mission
LaDonna was a 2003 MCS EB. Sold with over 223k miles!!! Best car I ever had!!!