MINI Takes the States 2010

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Re: MINI Takes the States 2010

Post by Minidave »

Dinner - the best burger to be found in KC is at the Westport Flea market - juice will run down your chin from the first bite!

For a little nicer atmosphere, any of the Jack Stack BBQ restaurants serve excellent meals at a reasonable price, and I like their BBQ better than Joe's! There's one at 95th and Metcalf as well as one in the Freighthouse district.

There's also the KC Speedway, too bad they couldn't arramge a lap of the track like they did at Indy - good publicity for the track as well as the city, and talk about a good place to gather for the start of the event - a hell of a lot better than the parking lot of an abandoned furniture store! Oh well.......
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Counterfit_Mini »

I'd like to see about 200 MINI's try to squeeze into Baron's parking lot. :lol:
Hi my name's Stephanie...
Max- 2024 Mini Cooper S All4 Clubman
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by ragtopday Johnna »

I'm with Davester on the Oklahoma Joe's recommendation. Aside from great food (upsetting the Presidential Arthur Bryant's tradition), anyplace in a gas station is a natural tie-in to a car event.

And on the same note with gas stations, The Filling Station is a great spot for coffee, pastries or a sandwich. http://www.fillingstationcoffee.com. From Baron, a driving route could send folks to Oklahoma Joes, through the Plaza, Westport, Crown Center and end at the Filling Station. Two gas station themed restaurants and lots of KC sightseeing in an easy drive!

A few recommendations in the Westside or on the Blvd. might be helpful if folks are going to Boulevard for a tour. I would suggest the Westside Local (http://www.thewestsidelocal.com). Anyone else got recommendations in that area?

A great way to sample lots of KC delights would be a visit to Blanc for dinner. Deep fried Shatto cheese curds, Boulevard Pale Ale onion rings, locally produced sodas from Soda Vie, floats made with Foo's frozen custard, a dessert flight of Christopher Elbow chocolates...lots of the KC food scene in one stop! http://www.blancburgers.com.

And now I'm hungry... :lol:
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

I feel kinda stupid for asking but where is Oklahoma Joe's? I've never heard of it.
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
davester
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by davester »

We ate there Saturday night. Waited in line for 45 minutes, fought over a table and then savored the pulled pork BBQ and cold beer. It was well worth the wait--- ask Frank. It's located at 47th and Mission in KC,KS in the gas station.
Sorry for the hi-jack --- Back to Mini Takes The States
2015 F56 S hatchback-Electric Blue/Black, Cold Weather Package,Premium Package, Sport Package and a lot of other crap. "BRUISER"

They call me David
Former MINI's
2004 R53 "Stubby"
2012 R58 Coupe "Deuce"
getsalot

Post by getsalot »

MMM, the Thursday morn meet/leave is by Steak n Shake, my fave is the FRISCO melt. Too bad they won't be open in the morn...lol. There is also an Oklahoma Joe's across the street on Strang n 119th. Also, a bbq shop next to the restaurant. They have ton's of local made sauce's and dip's for sale and supplies/wood/grill's etc.
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Steak and Shake + Road Trip = bad idea
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

I heard some of y'all who were at Jason's this week were expressing interest in doing something as a club for MTTS. Just wanted to let you know that I have extended that offer to Samer twice (left a voicemail both times) but my call hasn't been returned. If I hear anything, I'll be sure to post it here.

I'm already trying to decide what snowcone flavor to have at Baron...what's your favorite? http://www.ftfsnowcones.com/flavors.html
Johnna--BMPR CR '05 Chili Red JustaCVT, JCW Sound Kit #D344, JCW BBK, aFe cai, M7 Under Strut System, strut tower plates, Sparkly wheel arches, a little chrome. Garage-sharing w/ '12 Goodwood MCS #372, '06 MCS "Jack" and MiniX4's classic, Moxie.
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

We only get one choice? :D
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Green Tea Pear. :) Nom nom nom
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

I know MTTS will be having an event in Denver on Friday night. The problem is that so will MITM. I would like to see some old faces (MiniDave's is super old :)) so who is going to be participating in the MTTS in Denver? I will be there Friday and Saturday at the official hotel. Anybody else?
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
1974/1993 Classic Mini - 70 WHP!
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

We will be down on Sat for the MTTS event, although with the doggies tagging along I'm not so sure how long we'll be there, I guess it depends on what all's going on that day. That's why we're arriving early - on Wed - so we can do as much of the MITM stuff as possible, see the events on Sat, then head back up to WP Sat eve. However, my sister lives near the event so we may be there only a couple hours then head over to her place. Some depends on the weather, I don't do heat real well and if it's in the mid-high 90's my outdoors time is limited....is there an event schedule for Sat posted anywhere yet?

Seth, despite your comment about my advancing years :wink: , if you want to PM me your cell, I'll give you a call when we get to the event on Sat so we can hook up and say hi!
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

Dave - :lol: PM sent!
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Minidave--

Here's the sort-of schedule for Saturday--hopefully they will be filling in with a more detailed schedule soon.

Activity: Rise and Shine Rally
Date: Saturday, August 14, 2010
Time: 9:00 AM - 2:00 PM
(Upper North Parking Lot)
18300 W. Alameda Parkway
Morrison, CO 80465

Activity: MTTS Festival
Time: 1:00 - 9:30 PM

Activity: MINIcross
Time: 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM

Activity: MINI Music Festival
Featuring Blues Traveler (plus four other bands)
Time: 11:00 AM - 9:30 PM

Is anyone who is staying at the host hotel going on the Saturday morning drive? Specifically, anyone with room for a passenger(s)? We will be there without a MINI and might like to go to the rally. It would need to be a semi-fast driver, as we have to be back at Infinity before 2 to work. :)
IowaM1N1
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by IowaM1N1 »

ragtopday wrote: Activity: Rise and Shine Rally
Time: 9:00 AM - 2:00 PM
(Upper North Parking Lot)
18300 W. Alameda Parkway
Morrison, CO 80465

Is anyone who is staying at the host hotel going on the Saturday morning drive? Specifically, anyone with room for a passenger(s)? We will be there without a MINI and might like to go to the rally. It would need to be a semi-fast driver, as we have to be back at Infinity before 2 to work. :)
I'm not staying at the host hotel, but am staying near-by. Unless Judy changes her mind and comes with me, I'll be running the rally solo.
Greg
'19 Emerald Grey/Chili Red JCW (F56) <---- Greg's car
'08 Dark Silver/Black Cooper S convertible JCW (R52) <---- Greg's other car
'02 BRG/White Cooper (R50) Iowa plate: M1N1 <-----Judy's car
Des Moines/KC/whatever
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

ragtopday wrote:Is anyone who is staying at the host hotel going on the Saturday morning drive? Specifically, anyone with room for a passenger(s)? We will be there without a MINI and might like to go to the rally. It would need to be a semi-fast driver, as we have to be back at Infinity before 2 to work. :)
We will have 2 Minis there, so you guys will have a seat :). However, you have to bring your own tool kit and accelerator cable for the classic. :lol:
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
ragtopday Johnna
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

MiniManiac wrote:We will have 2 Minis there, so you guys will have a seat :). However, you have to bring your own tool kit and accelerator cable for the classic. :lol:
We are REI members and have a dividend check to spend, just enough to cover the purchase of a cable for your four-seat bicycle. :lol:
MiniManiac
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by MiniManiac »

ragtopday wrote:We are REI members and have a dividend check to spend, just enough to cover the purchase of a cable for your four-seat bicycle. :lol:
LMAO!!
Seth
08 MCS - JCW
getsalot

Post by getsalot »

Suggestion for Sundance's post for the out-of-towner's. Ton's of restaurant's for the dinner time around the hotel. Breakfast, I would suggest Classic Cup in the Plaza or Cracker Barrell out front of where everyone is meeting up to take off. There is also a Wendy's for fast food type and a few coffee joint's around that area.
MINI-me

Post by MINI-me »

I just don't have one or two favorite restaurants in KC, I have dozens if not hundreds of favorites and none of them are fast food :chugchug:. Here are several Kansas City HOT SPOTS our MTTS out of town guests can go for duds and suds, fish & chips, steak & shake, or whatever else suits one's culinary fancy.

The Legends(20 minutes NE of Baron MINI) at I-435/ I-70 Interchange in Kansas City, Kansas: http://www.legendsshopping.com/

Country Club Plaza(20 minutes E of Baron MINI) in Kansas City, Missouri: http://www.countryclubplaza.com/

Strang Line District (20 minutes S of Baron MINI) in Olathe, Kansas: http://bit.ly/coPYJx

Zona Rosa (30 minutes N of Baron MINI) in Kansas City, Missouri: http://www.zonarosa.com/
getsalot

Post by getsalot »

We are both officially registered. We'll drive to Dodge and then going due west to Pueblo and on to Grand Junction. May or may not make some of the event's for MTTS and MITM. Depend's on how long he want's to wander around the various cities he's modeling on his H.O. model train we're building. Hoping to make the Sat eve event atleast. Maybe the Red Rock one if we get done and up in time.
getsalot

Post by getsalot »

wow...setting up my ipad for the trip. hd weather show's dodge city, ks get'n up to 106 degree's this wk...n that's temp's not index. make sure to bring something cool for your stay there that day/night....lol. just a fyi :oops: :roll: :ps:
gasmini03
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by gasmini03 »

What happens if someone just shows up at Baron while all of the other Minis are there? I mean someone that hasn't registered can they still register that day or is it necessary? I don't know if I can come yet and drive part way to Dodge City or if its too late to register for MTTS.
Counterfit_Mini
MINIAC
MINIAC

I think you can still register for MTTS. I don't think I ever saw a closing date for registration... here's the link for registration: http://www.eventjack.com/registration/m ... ation.html

Got a question for everyone, what is a good two-way radio to get?
Past Mini's:
2009 MCS
1977 Leyland Mini 1000
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

gasmini03 wrote:What happens if someone just shows up at Baron while all of the other Minis are there? I mean someone that hasn't registered can they still register that day or is it necessary? I don't know if I can come yet and drive part way to Dodge City or if its too late to register for MTTS.
You can always drive along with the group, especially if you're only going part way, and nothing that's happening at Baron is restricted to only MTTS participants. If you want to take part in the events happening at the Denver MTTS site (or if you just want the T-shirt :mrgreen: ) , then you need to register.

As to Two-way radios, I don't have any good answers there, they're very limited in range anyway, and even worse in the moutains. Motorola has always been a major player in two-ways.....I have a cheapy set I got from Radio Shack, they seem to work just as well but don't have some of the zoomy features the others have...
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"