Clear Bra

General discussions related to MINIs and Minis
DDodge

Clear Bra

Post by DDodge »

I'm kind of reopening this topic because I'm tired of the rock chips. I've got some questions for those who may know these things already.

How much does Auto Glass and Tint charge for one? (I've heard that the 3M is the best.)

Does Todd do this? (I guess Todd can answer that.) :)

What is the best way to repair the existing chips before braing it. (so to speak)

Don D
sundance
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by sundance »

I do not do clear bras but thanks for thinking of me.

Auto Glass and Tint does the best job I've seen though. I highly recommend them to do the work what ever the cost.
2006 John Cooper Works GP - Stock
DDodge

Post by DDodge »

I called Auto Glass and Tint today and got an estimate for a clear bra. - $629. Six Hundred Twenty-Nine Dollars? What!? I know ScotchGuard is good, but I mean Dayum! Does it contain titanium?

Don D
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I thought it was made out of clear gold!

Yikes!
Hi! My name's Dave!

'09 LB/LB Clubman S - "Max"
89 Mini "Racing Green"
94 SPi Project (The Hot Rod)
sundance
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by sundance »

You must have gotten the price for the presidential bullet proof clear shield. :lol:
2006 John Cooper Works GP - Stock
DDodge

Post by DDodge »

I have received some additional info on the qt - If you want one of these, ask at Baron.
GRIN-N

Post by GRIN-N »

I found a place that sells the material and says we can do this ourselves. Take a look at:

http://www.invisiblemask.com

If we are able to procure another Mini soon :( I will try this.
minime

Re: Clear Bra

Post by minime »

Hi

Just wanted to let everyone know that I had PDI Clear Bra in Lenexa do a install 2 years ago. They covered the hood furture back with 24"film removed the headlight trim and fender trim so everything had a nice clean appearance. I looked at a install that Auto Glass did and the hood was too small and stoped along the sides of the headlights. PDI's covered behinded my headlights 6". To cover the hood nicely wraped, front bumper, mirror caps all for $435.00. I justed check with them and the price is still the same for mini club menbers. Also they are doing this moble.

Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I think that's about where it stops on my '03 too, wonder if they did it, it was done thru Baron when new.......
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
DDodge

Post by DDodge »

When they did my windshield, I found out that they were doing the clear bras for Baron.

Don D
minime

Post by minime »

They used to install Barons clear bras but stoped because they had to use Barons own bra kits from there parts dept. The kits were to small poor fit and not up to PDI's standards. So PDI stoped doing Barons vehicles back in 2004. They offered Baron a much better kit but do to inside politics the sales dept could not.
kenshin138
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by kenshin138 »

I'd love to have this done to my car, but it has quite a few chips as well. :(

Though the silver scoop I bought has 3m film on it...so thats one thing that won't chip I suppose. :P
Ryan
'12 MB/MB MCSa
DDodge

Post by DDodge »

Here's another question. Why put the bra on anywhere but the leading edge of the bonnet? Anyone got rock chips on their bumper? On their mirror caps? I could also us a primer on fixing the chips before I find someone to put a clear bra just on the paint. . .
Minidave
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by Minidave »

I think the whole front of the car is vulnerable to chips, bumper, front of the hood etc, if you're gonna cover it at all, why not do it all?

As to fixing the chips you already have, that's a tough one, I mean - how much time and /or money are you willing to spend to do this? You could dab a little bit of touch up in them yourself, but you need to use a thin single edge blade to take down the bump so it's level, or your clear bra will have bumps in it too.
Or you could take it to one of the touch up shops like KC Color where they spray the chips instead of daub the paint on, but that will cost more. Or you could say to heck with it, wait till it's really chipped up and then just have the hood and front bumper repainted - that would probably cost about the same......
Hi! My name's Dave!

89 Mini "Racing Green"
ddmini
MINIAC
MINIAC

Post by ddmini »

DDodge wrote:Here's another question. Why put the bra on anywhere but the leading edge of the bonnet? Anyone got rock chips on their bumper? On their mirror caps? I could also us a primer on fixing the chips before I find someone to put a clear bra just on the paint. . .
I have a rock chip on my roof :o It is about 1" above the black trim at the top of the windshield. My bumper cover is pitted by all the rocks that have bounced off of it but nothing has broken through it yet. When we get our next MINI I want the clear bra on before I leave Baron.
09 Clubman S LB/B, 3 Pkgs, JCW Wheel, JCW Tuning Kit, H&R Springs, ALTA 19mm swaybar
14 Paceman S All4, Starlight Blue/White, Fully loaded, JCW Steering Wheel
David & Debra
toeknee

Post by toeknee »

I've been considering the clear bra for ours. The only problem is that the whole front of the car is covered in paint dings and little scratches from rocks and various other debris. It really just doesn't seem like its worth all the money to fix the chips and then put the bra on. I am intrigued by the fact that I can get bits for the mirrors as well as the scoop, but am concerned about the difficulty of installing it, not to mention that it still doesn't address the existing dings. Ivan covered them once when we first got the car, but the touch up paint never looked quite right and has begun to peel off now.

I think I might just live with a dinged up MINI, we'll call them freckles or scars. They prove that she's gone over 75,000 miles and has had some great adventures and long trips. :D